Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran the sled all day with no problem, came home to eat, i went back out after and the temp light came on after five minutes, it only comes on when i goose it, full of antifreeze doesn't leak, the sled runs fine until this happens, than it falls on its face, sounds like it isn't getting enough gas, any ideas where to start?

maybe a water pump or impeller could have gone bad?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Hairballs said:
I ran the sled all day with no problem, came home to eat, i went back out after and the temp light came on after five minutes, it only comes on when i goose it, full of antifreeze doesn't leak, the sled runs fine until this happens, than it falls on its face, sounds like it isn't getting enough gas, any ideas where to start?

maybe a water pump or impeller could have gone bad?
Yo, you probably only need to post this in one spot, as most people just chech the active topics. Welcome to the site, and this will help people from getting annoyed. Tell everyone what you have modified from stock, also always good to look at the plugs, and your storage habits. Usually when something runs good, sits a while, then turns to crap. I always think of water in fuel or some sort of fuel problem

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i just got the sled, its bone stock, i've been riding it with no problem until yesterday, i've ran three tanks of fuel through it. would water in the fuel cause it to overheat?

also i've never had a sled before so i know nothing about them, please bare with me.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Run the sled for a few minutes and see if the coolers get warm.

If they get warm, I'd say it wasn't the water pump.. If they don't warm up, then I'd start at the water pump.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
So the sled is stock then...no different head, no pipes? The coolant is full and still the little light comes on????
Check...
-to see if the electrical connection on the top of the head is connected right and tight.Also look around the connection to the head that its sealed proper.Sometimes coolant can leak from there.

-Are you running studs? Check the coolant lines under the tunnel (which would be your tunnel "pertectors") and see if there are no cuts from studs or rocks. Even the heat exchange in the from of the track.

-When running it there is no white smoke from the exhaust, meaning your not burning it? It would smell funny.

-Follow all the coolant lines (should be obvious which ones they are) and see if none of them are kinked by anyway.

-Last thing...check the plugs. Look really hard to see if you have coolant on the plugs, if you do then you have water in the crank.

The little light is only a quick "its running hot and better shut off quick" light, if the light is on for to long the motor should shut off automatically.

·
Registered
355 Posts
You could have also blown your o-rings in the head. There really simple to replace if that's the case.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
Run the sled for a few minutes and see if the coolers get warm.

If they get warm, I'd say it wasn't the water pump.. If they don't warm up, then I'd start at the water pump.
i'm gonn trythis first

KRSS144 said:
So the sled is stock then...no different head, no pipes? The coolant is full and still the little light comes on????
Check...
-to see if the electrical connection on the top of the head is connected right and tight.Also look around the connection to the head that its sealed proper.Sometimes coolant can leak from there.

-Are you running studs? Check the coolant lines under the tunnel (which would be your tunnel "pertectors") and see if there are no cuts from studs or rocks. Even the heat exchange in the from of the track.

-When running it there is no white smoke from the exhaust, meaning your not burning it? It would smell funny.

-Follow all the coolant lines (should be obvious which ones they are) and see if none of them are kinked by anyway.

-Last thing...check the plugs. Look really hard to see if you have coolant on the plugs, if you do then you have water in the crank.

The little light is only a quick "its running hot and better shut off quick" light, if the light is on for to long the motor should shut off automatically.
i can't smell any burning antifreeze, i am running studs, and i checked the coolers and they dont appear to be damaged, i

also the light does not stay on only when you throttle, if i bring it to an idol it shuts off im gonna check the coolers and see if they warm up and check the lines again.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I seen this same thing happen once on a 02 edge 600, and it was a air pocket in the lines. try opening the bleeder and see if you can burp it at all.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
trailjunkie said:
I seen this same thing happen once on a 02 edge 600, and it was a air pocket in the lines. try opening the bleeder and see if you can burp it at all.
im gonna try and burp it i had this same problem with my mudder

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would like to thank everyone for taking interest with my problem, i'm gonna go try somethings and hopefully resolve the problem, i will let you all know,

·
Registered
222 Posts
so did you figure it out harry? it ran fine today after we put your air screws back to stock but this problem with the cooling still baffles me. It was only 5 degrees out and we were in two to three feet of powder so there is no way it is getting hot because of that.

·
Registered
610 Posts
We had a similar problem last year. It ended up being caused by the thermostat. We just took it out all together and it's ran good since, just takes longer to warm up (10 minutes or so)

·
Registered
222 Posts
so its fine to take the thermostat out completely???!?

·
Registered
355 Posts
You can take it out, it just won't run as consistently. The 98 big block polaris's didn't have thermostats.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts