Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new (0 miles) 09 Z1 Turbo last month and am in the process of making sure I have my ducks in a row. I know I need to run 91 octane or better and also know that's not always available. What does anyone recommend for an octane booster to carry with me just in case? This leads to the next question, is 10% ethanol ok as long as the octane is where I need it to be? Unfortunately the ethanol is all too common around here. Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Ethanol actually has a higher octane rating then gas so it won't affect it unless it old gas, ethanol looses its octane fairly quickly. Valvoline makes a good octane booster, gumout is also good, pretty much anything that is name brand and if you want just check the active ingredients from the expensive ones to the cheap ones, most likely they are the same, if they are just buy a bunch of the cheap ones[thumb] The cheap ones usually run just a couple bucks for a 20 gallon treatment. Also the ethanol level just got raised to 15% so use the <10% if you can, if you do have to go over 10% just adjust the computer(mine is a wire you just plug up(2002 zr 800)) but yours may be different but i'm sure it has one.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I know they are looking at raising it to 15%, but last I knew, they haven't decided. That would mean another pump for ppl to take care of. I try to stay away from ethanol all together though. My two strokes kept me on top of knowing where to buy what. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
They're all junk. A whole bottle will only raise your octane by 0.1. Therefore if you're running 91 octane and you add a bottle of booster you'll be running 91.1. Woooo. Pretty sad.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Yeah, sadly I've heard the same thing about octane boosters. I don't remember what mag I was reading from, but the jisst of it was they're read differently or something of the such, where the bottle would advertise 5 octane better and when tested it was either worse or 1/10 better between many popular brands. Congratulations with the new sled, I'll bet you're pretty exited!!! I'm in the same boat, I just bought my brand new 06 leftover in May. As far as octane boosters go, I think I'd invest in good trail maps, and find popular gas stations!!!

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Octane boosters are junk, and I would think that new of a sled would be able to run on 87 if needed, is it a fuel injected sled? And 2 or 4 stroke? And ethanol does have a higher octane rating, only if its by itself or not mixed down with straight gas! The pump says 87 or 89 octane on it so thats what it is with or without ethanol. And if you do have to run ethanol, which is in most gas, just make sure you don't let it sit for long periods of time, because it goes bad fast.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
According to the dealer where I bought the sled, if I run less than 91 octane the sled will go into "safe mode" to avoid damage. I really don't care to push my luck. I stopped in to a local dealer (Polaris) and asked them about what they recommend. I ended up buying 2 bottles of what they put into thier race sled. The stuff I bought was $2 for treatment for 5 gallons. Not exactly cheap, but, it's going in the storage for "just-in-case" situations.

·
Registered
6,044 Posts
It's true.
The octane boosters suck
91 octane is available pretty much everywhere out here.
For higher octane than that you need to buy some gas cans and get some race fuel to mix in.

Right now we are getting VP Pro Purple 114 for $12.58 a gallon
or Sonoco 108 octane purple for 8.06 from United Oil in Caldwell, ID

Normally, depending on your mods and engine needs, You run 1 gallon to 4 gallons of pump gas making a 5 gallon mix. That ratio can be as high as 50/ 50 for certain mods and as low as 1/2 gallon to 4 1/2 gallons. Once you get your fuel dialed in to where your motor "wants to be", you should be monogomous to your fuel. Always mix your fuel in gas cans so that your mix remains exact.
Carry gas cans for longer trips

I'm running 1 gallon to 4, making 5 to fit my cans, mix with the Sunoco and Phillips 66 pump gas 91 octane with no ethynol.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I run Nos Max Street in my 440. I think this is a really good product. My dad and I think when the sled runs it kinda smells like race fuel :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts