Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's what I've got on my spare motor when I split the crank. The double row PTO bearing is good, but can be slip off the crank with very little effort. Now, that's bad. But, I'm wondering if anyone has heard of people grinding down the cranks similar to a car crank and applying a different sized bearing. The reason I ask is I'm convinced that the PTO bearing has slid on that shaft and taken several ten-thousands off of it.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
I looked into it real quick and yes, they do grind cranks.

Here is a company in NY that does it, just for proving purposes. Probably a little far for you. I would assume a local machine shop would do it.

http://www.highmarketsports.com/service.htm

(on the bottom)

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
thats weird the bearing should have to be heated up pretty good to get it to slide on by hand. Is the knurled section where the bearing sits damaged at all? I don't know if i would want to turn the crank down, i would rather replace the pto end with a new one and run new bearings on it. Is it the right bearing?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I've seen that on several XCR's. You can pull off the at least the outer bearing by hand. Sometimes both. I asked a dealer about this a few years ago and they said they have seen it before. I've then applied a thin coat of Loctite Green sleeve retainer to secure the bearing back on. That's what they suggested.
I searched on Snowest and there are a few threads on there about this issue.
Dman

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
A good machine shop should be able to build it back up and machine it back to spec.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would deffinetly chrome and grind back to spec for a good seated bearing. The last thing you want is the bearing spinning on your crank, it's a lot cheaper reworking it than replacing it or worse yet riding with failure in the back of your mind.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
I would have a machine shop build it and cut it back down

contact hanson race motors in minnesota. he is the man on cranks. his uncle started the buisness building the sno pro cranks for most race sleds.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts