Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a couple of sleds that have very low mileage and I'm wondering how I can tell if the odometers have been tamnpered with. Is this common on sleds and how is it done? Are there any sure tell signs that I can look for? I dont want to pay for a low mileage sled that has been tampered with.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
well, if they are from a state/area that recives little snow per year, I wouldnt be suprized seeing a low milage sled that wasnt tampered with.
never hurts to ask if they have ever had to change the speedometer/tach due to collision etc...

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
it depends on the amount of snow in the area. and if the person looks guilty you can tell. look at the back and youl figure it out

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Very easy to do, no I'm telling you how to do it. Just look at the back and think. It will come to you. If not, pm me i'll tellya.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I don't know of any real way to tell if they were tampered with. I know that Polaris' are extremely easy to turn back. I've done it before on a speedo that came out of my XCR 600. The speedometer part didn't work but the odometer did, so I replaced it and just for the heck of it hooked a drill to the speedometer and it was changing the miles. For a while I thought that my new sled didn't have original miles on it either. Its a 2001 and when I bought it last year it only had 1,050 miles on it according to the speedo. It was in extremely good shape when I bought it and after 900 miles of me driving it I see what wear and tear i've done to it so I'm pretty sure that what the odometer was saying is correct. You can usually tell by the shape of the snowmobile how many miles it has on it.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
ya, it is very hard to tell if its been done, cause its so easy to tamper with. if the area has lots of snow, or the guys looks like a snowmobiler (like knows everything about everything) then good chance he unhooked it

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Just like xcr said, if ya wanna know pm me i dont want to tell everybody on the forum. you learn things quick when ya take it apart 4 times a year.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
wow is it like any canaidian messes with the speedo before the sell something? vehicles are easy to do and so are sleds

·
Registered
644 Posts
i kno ppl who just do it with out turning it back at all they ..... them for the season [:p] (not telling and i would not do it)... not me!!!!

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
When buying a used sled, it is best to judge it by the condition of the machine, not the miles. There are a lot of people who unhook the speedo, or turn it back. The sled could be beat to death at 1500 miles, or near new condtion at 12,000 miles. Also, sleds with low miles are pretty common considering the winters we have been having, and the fact that a lot of people buy sleds who don't really use them much.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
i know people who have done it! But its very hard to tell!! One guy i know has a sled that looks great really has about 3500 mile but the odomiter only says 1500 all he d was unplug it! It would be almost impossible to tell or find out how many miles it really has!

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
People are WAY too concerned about miles on a sled. If you really look closely at it before buying you can get a very good clue on its actual condition. Like achotrod said, some owners beat their sleds and dont take care of them so they can be in pretty bad shape with very few miles. When I sold my mxzx 440 people always got pissy when they asked how many miles and I couldn't give them an answer. So many couldnt understand the concept that it never had a friggin speedo from the factory and the one that I put in didn't represent the actual number.

And theres no way to tell if it's been unplugged or rolled back. Look at the rest of the sled to make your decision!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts