Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys this has been running around in my head for quite a while now. I know the Speedometers here in the U.S. are dual readouts...meaning it shows the MPH in larger numbers, and the KPH in smaller numbers. Im assuming that the odometer is in miles for this type of a speedo. But while i was at my dealer the last time, they were selling some last year model sleds they apparently had gotten from another dealership in Canada. The speedos were in KPH only. So what im wondering is, is the odometer also calibrated to kilometers or is the face of the speedo the only change meaning the odometer is still counting miles? I know it would be cheaper for the factories to just change the sticker on the face of the speedo than to re-calibrate the whole thing. Anyone out there know whats up? Im just wondering that if one of you guys out there were to go buy a used sled, mileage is a big deal and there is quite a difference between KM's and Miles.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I'm not sure, but in canada there are both kmh and mph and then just km/h... I think that most of the newer sleds have both.

GO HARD, OR GO HOME - IF YOU COME TO A FORK IN THE ROAD...TAKE IT

·
Registered
614 Posts
In Canada, Arcticcat & Polaris are in miles, Yamahas are in kilos, and Skidoo can be changed by moving the speedo cable on the back of the speedo . Let the scammin begin. Run it in miles while you own, change it to kilos before you sell it. Test riders will see and A.S.S.U.M.E it has always been in kilos.
BUYER BEWARE!!! [caveor-something ?]

·
Registered
277 Posts
If KPH is the only speed listed on the face or if it is larger than MPH, it is reading Kilometers not miles. Just some info for people buying a used snowmobile. On the older model Polaris speedos, the 4 1/2" round not the new 5", if you spin the speedo backwards you take miles off. I know this because I had a jig hooked up to a blower motor out of a car that spun a speedo cable as fast as I wanted, backwards or forwards. I could take off hundreds of miles in a couple hours. It also works on the older Arctic Cat speedos. You cant do it with the newer sleds though. In case your wondering why I did it, my speedo broke, so I bought a used one with higher miles than what was on my sled. I just tried it one night and it worked. I'm sure others have done it to make their sled more appealing when selling it though. Beware!

'HAMMER DOWN !!'

1 - 4 of 4 Posts