Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello i have a 1980 blizzard 9500 in perfect cond but i want to redo the motor and i want to know if i should stay with oem but i want to have bored pistons what should i goto and would wiesco be better? How much am i lookin to pay for wiesco and how much for oem. I want the very best and most dependable... I love horseys and i love torque.. i dont want to have problems though.. I also only drive for the most 3 hours i dont drive much maybe 50 miles a season... Please help!!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
wiesco has a tendancy of the loacating pin for the rings to fall out causing the rings to rotate in the cylinder and catch a port. for what you are doing i would stay with stock of go with SPI if you want forged pistons

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But many sleds have wiesco pistons and i just have no info on them... I know forged pistons mean exposed to heat and they are heavier than the average piston so will this take my rpms down a bit or will it make more compression more horse and torque or what???

·
Registered
140 Posts
forged pistons are slightly heavier than cast but way stronger. unless you are going to be changing your compression forged pistons arnt necessary, you wont see any performance gain from forged pistons alone. a slightly heavier piston will not affect rpm, but it will have a slight effect on throttle response.

·
Registered
6,044 Posts
nskhellfire said:
hello i have a 1980 blizzard 9500 in perfect cond but i want to redo the motor and i want to know if i should stay with oem but i want to have bored pistons what should i goto and would wiesco be better? How much am i lookin to pay for wiesco and how much for oem. I want the very best and most dependable... I love horseys and i love torque.. i dont want to have problems though.. I also only drive for the most 3 hours i dont drive much maybe 50 miles a season... Please help!!!
First of all, if you don't have your cyliners bored, you don't need / can't use over bore pistons.
secondly, OEMs will last longer and perforn just as well.
Fact is that I do not run Weiscos in anything. I run OEM or at the very least OEM spec, never forged.
The forged pistons expand more when hot and thus have looser clearances when cold. This makes them more prone to piston slap when cold, more prone to cold seizures, and also more tempormental to bigger running temp changes due to jetting, elevation, and ambient air temps.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
okey but it never gets too cold at my house its at the coldest -5 if that other than that usually 10-30f also i just goto the lake once ina while to ride around and sometimes hit it... i want to really make some great throttle response and i want it to sound badass and make more compression... i can get my cylinders bored... but really i let my sled warmup greatly and it is liquid cooled... Is weisco the way to go? oh and also i do once ina while goto the big lake bc mine is like a football field it is very small... the big lake is very long and thats where i race my sleds once ina while i go there 3-5 times a season tho. please tell me the difference from oem and wiesco specifically and what i should go with...

·
Registered
572 Posts
1st of all how old are you?? cause in your posts here you sound like a little kid whining in the candy isle of a grocery store. "I want,, I want"
you have a 1980 sled you want to be "badazz". you got answers given to you. if you want to spend $100 or more/ piston then go wiseco. if you can still get them for that sled. you have access to a computer look them up on wiseco.com or any sled parts site. dont bore unless you have too. boring now doesnt leave room for later when you have to if you happen to score a cylinder. if your looking fora little more hitch in your gitty-up got through the clutches and bearings and idlers on that old sled. make sure everything is moving freely. check the compression. if its good leave it alone. dont fix what aint broke. just my .02

·
Registered
6,044 Posts
Cold seizures are not referring to outside temps, but rather motor operating temps.
OEM is better than Weisco/forged in my opinion.
I gave you the reasons why I say that above.
I think you can gain much more responce by going with a good clutching/gearing set up and making sure that you are jetted properly.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oh i totally understand that... i aint bitching tho... im tryign to get a point across i want to here in general what would be good for this sled... i have a ring shot so i figured if im tearing the motor down why not put new pistons and stuff in and i have the money for wiesco pistons i just want to know if they will hurt the way my sled runs with oem or will it be better and that is all im asking...

the sled i have i beleive myself is badass because out of all my 10 sleds this one blows the rest away... it has such an aggressive tone... i know alot about vintage racing sleds and i know the history behind this sled... its in mint condition too..

·
Registered
6,044 Posts
OK,
That being the case,
I'd go with the SPI pistons to save a buck from the OEMs and with that, I'd not have to run the Weiscos.

Don't get me wrong, some people run them and like them.
Madcow, for instance, does build motors and has a great deal of knowledge. He runs them in at least 1 sled that I know of, and I think has really good luck with them.
I've not had so good of luck with them.

I do completely warm my motor before taking the sled off of the trailer etc.
but I've just not gotten the life span out of Weiscos that I do from cast pistons.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Def go with SPI.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts