Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have recently bought new engine parts for my 8, i just can't figure out what the arrows mean, does that mean that the arrow must point at the pto or the mag? they are grafil coated oem pistons. any ideas and/or suggestions?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok thanks for the info, i'll probly get back to working on the engine tomarrow after work. pretty pricey stuff, engine parts...

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
polaris1man said:
teamarctic14 said:
the little arrow on top of the piston i thought those point out the exhaust
Definitely agree
For a guy that alleges to know a lot about Polaris', you give a lot of bad info...

Points right at the magneto. See below.

Polaris 600
20091129181524445_18890.jpg

Polaris 800
200911595837571_18890.jpg

You may have to view the images full size to see the arrows.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
polaris1man said:
teamarctic14 said:
the little arrow on top of the piston i thought those point out the exhaust
Definitely agree
For a guy that alleges to know a lot about Polaris', you give a lot of bad info...

Points right at the magneto. See below.

Polaris 600
20091129181524445_18890.jpg

Polaris 800
200911595837571_18890.jpg

You may have to view the images full size to see the arrows.
Look again b4 you mouth off, you obviously don't look at pistons enough. Here's a brand new teflon coated piston, and it points out to the exhaust

Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
polaris1man said:
Look again b4 you mouth off, you obviously don't look at pistons enough. Here's a brand new teflon coated piston, and it points out to the exhaust
First of all, in that picture I do not see an clear arrow, and second I do not see which direction the wrist pin goes...

In my pictures I show both arrows pointing clearly at the magneto.
Look above the 9G stamped on the piston, here's a side angle so you can clearly see you are giving incorrect information. Going forward b4 you want to correct somebody, do your homework Pooless, I've done many motor rebuilds, and the pic doesn't lie

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
polaris1man said:
First of all, in that picture I do not see an clear arrow, and second I do not see which direction the wrist pin goes...

In my pictures I show both arrows pointing clearly at the magneto.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
children play nice
ugly you hit it dead on
PLEASE PEOPLE READ POSTS
the man in the original question asked sorry i dont know how to properly quote
which way does the arrow point, to the mag or pto side

never once did he question toward the exhuast or intake.
piston manufacturers do it differently, and he even stated OEM, but the correct answer for this thread was
TOWARD THE MAG
thanks to all who answer the question correctly!
[:)] i give ya a lil sticker like in school

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Could you use a crappier camera?

Yes, I see the fact that you are indeed correct. Yours points to the exhaust.

Mine point at the magneto.

The correct answer is that it depends on the engine.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
bigwedgies said:
children play nice
ugly you hit it dead on
PLEASE PEOPLE READ POSTS
the man in the original question asked sorry i dont know how to properly quote
which way does the arrow point, to the mag or pto side

never once did he question toward the exhuast or intake.
piston manufacturers do it differently, and he even stated OEM, but the correct answer for this thread was
TOWARD THE MAG
thanks to all who answer the question correctly!
[:)] i give ya a lil sticker like in school
Thanks school teacher for chiming in, I responded to TeamArtic on which way the arrow pointed, not to Ugly. Anyways, you boys go on about your business, I have stock pistons I just took out of a sled and the arrow points forward, out the exhaust, so OEM also.

Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
Could you use a crappier camera?

Yes, I see the fact that you are indeed correct. Yours points to the exhaust.

Mine point at the magneto.

The correct answer is that it depends on the engine.
My apologies go out to you on my camera, seems to work just fine, the arrow is there, you can see the angle. Maybe on your triple the arrow points to mag side, on my twins the arrow points toward exhaust. I'll see if a friend of mine who has a M8 knows his pistons

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I just checked my OEM and aftermarket pistons from the '99 twin and both have arrows and both point towards the exhaust. This isn't aimed at keeping the arguement going, although that can be amusing at times, but to point out that one engine and its parts may differ from another. So....that being said good luck with the rebuild and happy grass mowing.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
i guess if you can figure out how to run
THE PISTONS IN QUESTION AS STATED IN THE FIRST POST
with the arrow towards the exhaust, maybe itll work, maybe twist the rod with a pipe wrench, or ive got it!!!!
mount the cylinder on sideways.
READ THE FIRST POST
doesnt matter what your 99 runs or my lawn tractor or whatever,
as i said some piston are different. yes alot do go towards the exhaust, but that was not an option given
FOR THIS THREAD
assuming the original poster realizes which way the wrist pin goes in
his arrow would point towards the MAG SIDE.

·
Registered
454 Posts
do we need snow to make everyone happy again, or just a "special brownie".

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
well it all depends on the motor they can go both ways sorry didnt mean to start anything here i was just pointing out the arrows sometimes points out the exhaust

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
bigwedgies said:
i guess if you can figure out how to run
THE PISTONS IN QUESTION AS STATED IN THE FIRST POST
with the arrow towards the exhaust, maybe itll work, maybe twist the rod with a pipe wrench, or ive got it!!!!
mount the cylinder on sideways.
READ THE FIRST POST
doesnt matter what your 99 runs or my lawn tractor or whatever,
as i said some piston are different. yes alot do go towards the exhaust, but that was not an option given
FOR THIS THREAD
assuming the original poster realizes which way the wrist pin goes in
his arrow would point towards the MAG SIDE.
And again BW, I was responding to Teamartic being that you missed that in this post that you and Pooless seemed to have no relevance on, and yes my '99's do matter which way the pistons are installed, and your lawn tractor and sled doesn't and that's why the pipe wrench has its effects on the way it runs like you want it. So for you and Pooless, both of you need to get your facts straight b4 you start bashing members, and the government has cracked down on teachers like you for sub standard teaching practices, get above board are they will take away your teaching abilities.. And thanks WhiteXC[thumb]

BrianLee said:
do we need snow to make everyone happy again, or just a "special brownie".
Better be nice to the "teacher", he will want a Apple for misleading you[thumb]

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
teamarctic, yes i understand, you were quesstioning,
as for polaris1man, the way i read it is youre the one who jumped all over uglypookid, when ugly poo kid and srx were the only ones who steared the guy in the right direction.
when i said it doesnt matter what your 99 runs or anything else, thats because im refering to the piston for this guys 800 which
ARE THE PISTONS IN QUESTIONS
2 stroke pistor always matter which way they go in and as you are correct alot of times and in your situation they go towards the exhaust.
for this guy and the rest of the situations they go toward the mag.
now if YOU started a thread and asked which way do my pistons go, arrow towards intake or exhaust, the yes the correct answer for that would be exhaust.
but for THIS SITUATION, you were incorrect, and then jumped all over UPK.
my first post was to be sarcastic and to point out UPK was the correct answer FOR THIS SITUATION, but then you got all huffy when someone pointed out you were incorrect. FOR THIS SITUATION.
its fine to be not right once in awhile, thats why we turn to these forums to ask questions.
if the guy asked which way the arrow points and you were the only one to answer and said towards the exhaust he would be confused as all heck becuase its impossible to mount the piston that way.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i took a closer look at the pistons, and they have arrows pointing as stated in the previous posts. they are supposed to be pointing at the exhaust. my misinfo there. so far i put everything back and changed the water pump parts. i have yet to have the Y pipe welded, for i have found a crack. it's gonna have to wait till monday to be welded, and snow is falling as i post this. thanks for the info guys.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts