Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far this year i have 850 miles. Its my first year riding sled and i love it (wish i had a better sled tho)haha(coming soon)! So far this year i have had some flaws tho. first i was riding on what we call the railroad bed. its where the train tracks were but are now removed and made into a nice wide snowmobile trail. i was in town. i was goin maybe 45-50 and i was turning with all my weight on the left side of the machine when my grip decided to come off!! i fell off with the grip and kept on sliding and my sled hit into a fence, busted through a 4x4 post and then came back towards me and hit me in the lower back then stopped about 25 feet from where it hit the fence. the only damage that happened was my spindle bent at the base of the ski which i bent back in a press and i smashed the side of the ski up which was bent back. the scary part was my friend who was behind me.

Then after that not the same day i jumped a little snow bank and the sled landed on the back bumper. Could have been worse tho.

Then one morning i was going to school. i was once again on the railroad bed. on the railroad bed there are speed limits. once u get out of town it is 45 which no one folows because the trail is straight smooth and you can see as far as the eye can see. then once u get into town the speed goes down to 15 which again no one follows. i was goin down the bed just rolling a decent speed as i stopped to cross a road our local chief of police pulled in front of me and stopped me. he got me on radar for speeding(59 in a 15) so now i have to pay a nice little fine. WHERES THE DONUTS WHEN U NEED EM!!
i think its pretty pathetic when cops have nothing better to do than to put there radar on sleds. anyways thats all so far.

what bad flaws have u had.
any speeding tickets?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i hope u make up for it this year

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hey Curtis,

Don't worry about a better sled just yet. That RXL 650 is a sweet ride. In all of my years of riding (~25 years), I've only had one person that could keep up with me in the tight trails. (That's not to say that there aren't plenty on this forum that could) I'm just making the point that it's not the size of the motor that makes you go fast, it's the skill of the rider.

Keep on riding... and learn to become one with your machine... and no-one will catch you...

-Mike

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
well if your town ahs a trail system then tis not a waste of time for the cop to patrol it. Obviouslly its not cause he caught you :). I don't know 15 mph on a sled is really really slow though. Like the speed limit where I ride in new york on the roads is 25 and I can't do it. The sled is like bogging just to go that slow. Thats how it feels anyway.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sled dog your exactly right. u cant do 15mph. the RXL is a nice sled i got a good deal on it. but i need a better suspension and a little more speed. i live around alot of lakes. im looking into a 93 polaris storm with only 1300 miles on it. the guy bought new set it up for racing couldnt trail ride with it. he ended up blowing it then he let it sit for a long time and now just recently he found a 95 storm motor to go in it and he rebuilt it. the sled is like it was right off the showroom floor. i know him pretty good so he might make me a good deal.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You guys should consider yourselves lucky. My sled is still sitting in the shed where it sat all summer. I'm waitin for snow now, and hopefully it will stick around longer than 2 days this time.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Your not the only one waiting for snow, we can just see the top of the grass in our yard, I think I might go for a ride around my house, and make a next summer a lot easier for me. (I won't need to mow the lawn)

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I feel the same way.

Only a light dusting of snow, and I didn't think winters could get any worse than they have in the past couple years! It's December and we're still waiting for snow.

I finally took my sled to the nearest lake yesterday, just so i could put some miles on. 10 inches of ice is plenty.
Well, the wind blew all the light snow off the ice to the very edge of the lake, and I found nearly a Foot of snow there! I still only have 3 miles on my machine this season......this bites!

-Let it snow!

·
Registered
60 Posts
MM-I've heard really good ice reports but I also heard that 16 people went through the ice last weekend on sleds or wheelers; mostly ice-fishmen. I also have been eyeing up some edges of lakes where the snow drifting up. I really need to get through some break-in miles.[:D]

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
if we had posted speed limits here, and they were 15 mph, noone would follow them, if for one couldnt, doin a constant 15 mph w/ my sled will foul the plugs pretty quick......i can do 15 mph while turning and giving it gas and spinning a lil.......but a constant 15 cant be done, maybe a constant 30, but taht would still be iffy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts