Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
both sled are completly stock my xlt has 3600 miles the vmax has 5000 miles both run well etc basically same shape i ice fish trail ride lake run and occasional ditch bang or just go out and explore is the vmax a good sled would it be worth my time he say he will do a straight trade

·
Registered
250 Posts
Why would you trade for a sled that has 1400 more miles on it???? Sounds like one of those not so good decisions....

·
Registered
591 Posts
is it a pogo stick front suspension v-max? Terrible decision if it is, those things are tanks, heavy, and fugly as well.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Tanks, heavy, and fugly. You took the words out of my mouth, gto. I would stick with your xlt.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
There's a reason that the Polaris XLT was completely dominant in the 90's...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
but arnt those yamahas really really reliable its not a pogo stick suspension it has trailing arms dont get me wrong I LOVE POLARIS im just curious on the facts not cause there ugly i mean how are the engines etc

·
Registered
581 Posts
I would stick with the XLT.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Im with what 800dOO said. 1400 more miles. Yes the yami will have the trailering arms, and will be great on smooth trails but is HEAVY as a mofo and the rear suspension sucks. I would stick with what you have, or maybe sell it and buy something else. Just my .02

800DOO said:
Why would you trade for a sled that has 1400 more miles on it???? Sounds like one of those not so good decisions....

·
Registered
659 Posts
Yamaha suspension's from that era suck and they are tanks I have a good friend that has the same exact sled you are considering I have rode it and he has rode my XLT and we both agreed the XLT was light years better and thats even with a Xtra 12 rear skid which many consider not to be one of polaris's greatest suspension's.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ya but i only have xc-100 suspension being its a sks its NOT xtra 10 or xtra 12 so its gotta ride better than the ol 8 inch xc 100

·
Registered
841 Posts
skspolarisxlt said:
are we just saying this because we love polaris haha
I feel a lot of Polaris loyalty in this thread.........[;)] I also love my old Wedge, but since I owned a Yami, here's some unbiased info.

In 98 I bought a new MMax600, basically the same machine except for the longer track. I sold it a few years ago and it still ran great. In those years it never left me stranded and performed good for what it was. I did replace pistons once, only for preventive maintenance.
Not sure where these guys say the suspension was crap, it has quite a few more adjustment points than a POO and once set up, it handled pretty good.
Depending on what kind of riding we were doing, is how I decided on what machine to ride. When the wife came riding, she always preferred to ride the Yami.
Engine wise, the 600 twin had around 95ish HP. Not the smoothest engine, runs a bit rough especially on the bottom end. The Yami triples are way smoother. With a bit of tinkering, carbs, clutching, etc., it would hold it's own against any other 600.
IMO, fit and finish, quality, was farther ahead than my Polaris.
Being both mountain machines, the Yami was nicer on the trail. But when it came to deep snow, the RMK kicked butt.

OK, so after all that, there's nothing wrong with a Vmax..The only downside is the Yami twin is not one of the best engines they built.
As for trading, you are not really gaining anything. Each will have it's plus and minus, but in the end it will just be something "different". If I was trading it would be for something much better than what I have.

·
Registered
659 Posts
skspolarisxlt said:
ya but i only have xc-100 suspension being its a sks its NOT xtra 10 or xtra 12 so its gotta ride better than the ol 8 inch xc 100
I have an xc 100 skid in my other XLT which is the SKS and I think its a fine suspension.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts