Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just thought for everyone’s safety I would inform you of the changes to the O.F.S.C. sign policy.

Over the summer months the O.F.S.C. has had meetings with lawyers , a risk management group and the board of directors and this is what they have come up with . ( so don't shoot the messenger )
Currently trail signage varies from trail to trail and club to club. Some clubs have a lot of signs and lead you through the trail, others have virtually none. They have decided this is very dangerous and is opening us up to liability suits.

So starting this season all trails will be signed the same . ( this where it gets interesting ) Forget how you seen and rode the trails last season this year will be a whole new experience. Snowmobiling is an off road experience and the trails and their conditions are subject to change very fast. The speed limit on Ontario trails is 50 kms/hr ( important to keep that in mind ) . It is also the responsibility of the rider to travel in a safe manner and speed . ( 50 kms/hr ) So we are going to a simpler set of guidelines . At road crossings you will see 5 signs on each side , Stop , Stop Ahead , Prescribed trail , use at you own risk , and a 50 km/hr sign . There are very strict guide lines to where and how these signs are put. You will no longer see any corner signs , danger , caution or any other regulatory or cautionary signs . When there is a hazard on the trail
you will see a slow sign posted 100 - 120 meters from the hazard ( at 50 kms/hr you will have enough time to slow down and react to the up coming hazard ) Bridges will be marked with bridge chevrons on either side . Ice crossings will have a sign . All rail road crossings will also be marked with a sign . All improperly placed chevrons have to be removed all corner signs are to be removed . ( standard chevrons can only be used on the left side of a trail in a corner , we are to reduce the numbers of them that we use to 1 or 2 per corner all others must come down , next year they are all to be removed )
Information signs like seeded area , tree plantation or destination signs are ok to use as long as they are not black and yellow or red and black in color.
The TSS program will be supplying all clubs with the needed signs to enact this new policy. ( before winter arrives confused.gif )
Also coming soon all trail stakes in the Province will be 5 feet tall , orange in color and be made of 2x 2's and have a white reflector. ( yea that will happen over night )

Ok what does this long winded story mean to you ? Well basically there will about 75 % less signs on the trails this year. The signs that will be there will be in such a place so that when you are traveling at 50 kms/ hr you will have time to slow down and react to the hazard . If you are going too fast and crash ...too bad excl.gif You were warned what the speed limit was and it is you responsibility to ride in a safe manner . This new signage policy will now stop you from having the ability to fill a liability claim againt the club or ofsc and win . After you do loose the OFSC has full intensions of siueing YOU for every cent you got . I can't stress enough how aggressive they are going to be if you attemp to sue them .

There was a person last winter that sued the ofsc because a club had used a 90 degree corner sign is a corner that was only an 85 degree corner ...that guy got 1.2 million for his troubles . And now we all pay because he's a freakin idiot . Also it has bee reported that the Sunset Trail riders in the Kenora area will not be staking or grooming trail this winter on their appx 1200 kms of trail due to 3 law suits filled against them over trail signage last year .

Well I'm sure there will be some interesting comments on this topic ! Just remember I’m just the messenger and wanted to let everyone know what to expect on the trails this year and to ride with extreme caution.

Science Hill Drifters Snowmobile Club
The home of Canada's largest snowmobiling links page !
Now with over 1300 links to North American snowmobile sites
http://www.sciencehilldrifters.com/links.htm
IndySKS

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Well I guess this a good thing right?? I hope that any money they win from sueing the idiots that go after them go right to the trails and lowers my permit cost.

[red]GO HARD, OR GO HOME - THEY MAKE NEW ONES EVERY DAY[/size=2][/red]

·
Registered
506 Posts
Well, I hope those sharks in suits are happy that they're doing there part to "make the trails a safer place" 'cause it's gonna cost alot of us young guys are lives, myself possibly included.

this is total BS, I don't think I've ever even seen anyone going the speed limit on the trails, this is totally rediculous, the only thing gonna come out of this is alot of injured and dead snowmobilers. that plus the jerking around we're all getting over insurance these days, this is rediculous.

they may be called snowmobiles, but hiding behind that is a cheap excuse to not grass drag.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well this is the dumbest thing i've heard yet!!!!! No cautionary signs.....no warning signs.... this is crazy. This is something we should all be talking to our local club leaders about. Write a letter to Mr. Burns and your local MPP....they have warning signs on public roads don't they??? They should just make every one sign a waiver with their permit and no sueing would be allowed....as for those with no permits we sue them back for trespassing.....enough already.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Hey rev8 welcome to SF!

Indy said that there will be no caution or danger signs. But there will be "slow sign posted 100 - 120 meters from the hazard ( at 50 kms/hr you will have enough time to slow down and react to the up coming hazard ) Bridges will be marked with bridge chevrons on either side . Ice crossings will have a sign . All rail road crossings will also be marked with a sign . All improperly placed chevrons have to be removed all corner signs are to be removed . ( standard chevrons can only be used on the left side of a trail in a corner , we are to reduce the numbers of them that we use to 1 or 2 per corner all others must come down , next year they are all to be removed )"

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
All I can say is thanks for the warning. I must admit the trails with the good signs were the ones we rode the fastest. The problem is not the speed it's the drunks, period. What with the bad winters, the high trail permit costs, high insurance costs, high fuel costs, etc. and now this sign crap, I do believe I will sell my sleds and take up knitting. :) Seriously though, why does the last few things I enjoy in life have to get screwed up by politics. First hockey, (has anybody seen these excuses for hockey games lately) and now snowmobiling. Next they will tax sex or something.

Reasonable people adapt to the world around them....Unreasonable people try to change it.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Hotrod look at the good sides to tho. Now people that have sued OFSC and won, Raising out trail permits. Will no longer happen....

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Am I reading correctly. The speed limit is 50 km/h all the time everywhere?

Everyone, go buy a 340 fan...

That's just funny

Ride the Best!

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by hotrod:
First hockey, (has anybody seen these excuses for hockey games lately) and now snowmobiling.

Reasonable people adapt to the world around them....Unreasonable people try to change it.
[/quote]

I was just wondering what you meant by this. If you mean professional yeah I agree to a certain extent but minor hockey is only getting better. I am still playing hockey and this is my 13th season. The new rules that they have been enforcing in minor hockey these days is good. They have cut fighting down in hockey which is a GOOD thing. Hockey is a game of skill speed and coordination. I know that they now have a rule of 4 on 4 overtime to speed that up, they have "rushed face offs" to speed it up. So far this year I have played in 3 games and every game someone has been kicked out for punching. This is a good thing because if they clean up minor hockey the professional hockey that people are playing will tone down a little. I certainly didn't start playing hockey to fight, if I wanted that I would have taken up boxing. Oh yeah and hockey isn't "All about fighting" like some fans think.

Hockey isn't being ruined, it is being improved far more than the average viewer can see. You have to remeber that the changing of rules is to keep people from getting injured.

Sorry about the rant but I don't see how hockey is being ruined.

Trees don't make the greatest brakes.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by Polaris-Man:
Am I reading correctly. The speed limit is 50 km/h all the time everywhere?

Everyone, go buy a 340 fan...

That's just funny

Ride the Best!
[/quote]

50 km/h.....hmmm.....whas that like 35 mph.....lol.......if i head out to ontario ill have to pick up a Z120 er sumptin.....lol......i feel for u guys that have to ride the trails there, speed limits are fine, but 35 mph? i dont know what ur trails are like, curvey or straight or whatever.....but what the hell...ppl sue fore verything these days? it was a 90degree corner sign bvut it was only a 85 degree corner??????WTF is that guys problem??? next time i have some American fighter jets flying around my house (occurs regularly, they practice over the middle of nowhere) im gonna sue the US cuz they were to loud and bothering me......stupid a$$ ppl these days

When's Winter Coming Back?​

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Polaris-Man thats correct 50 kms or less . Or trails consist of everything that is so windy you think a drunkin Indian made them that you are barely able to go 20 km/hr on or miles and miles of wide open power lines and roads that you could ride at 90mph for hours with out slowing down . And everything in between , with 48,000kms of trails it varies quiet a bit .

When I said they are removing caution and danger signs, I meant signs that say caution or danger . As posted they will be installing slow sligns at any hazards but only 100 - 120 meters back . This whole new policy is based on the 50 km/hr at that speed you wil be safe . If you are going faster , well too bad you shouldn't have been speeding and can't sue us becuse you were told of the speed limit at every cross road or every 6 kms on the trail . The ofsc is developing a new "arrow " sign that will be placed in the corners to let you know where you need to go . All corners and hazards will still be marked it's just going to be different and everyone needs to be aware of the changes or that first ride might be a shocker when you expect to see warning signs posted a long ways back like they have been in the past. Again the whole system is based on the 50 km/hr . By making us all ( clubs ) follow these new guide lines it will make the trails more uniform and ( hmmm.... ) safer . The sad part is with out getting this message out to all riders there is going to be a lot of crashes.

Science Hill Drifters Snowmobile Club
The home of Canada's largest snowmobiling links page !
Now with over 1300 links to North American snowmobile sites
http://www.sciencehilldrifters.com/links.htm
IndySKS

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ride with extreme caution!? Where's the fun in that? I mean, 50km/hour?!!??! Do they ask that when approaching a turn you kill the engine and slowly drag the machine around the turn, taking time to note any potentially dangerous conditions?

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by RotaxAtax:
Do they ask that when approaching a turn you kill the engine and slowly drag the machine around the turn, taking time to note any potentially dangerous conditions?

[/quote]

LMAO

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
The trails are very windy and the forest is very dense. There are tons of blind corners, and some trails are only 6 ft wide. On the lakes there are no speed limits, and your on lakes almost 25% of the time. I don't think 50 km/h is REALLY bad.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Ya, 50 km/h in the trees, no problem, but 50 km/h along an old railroad bed, or something like that. Gimme a break.

Not that it matters to me, cuz I'm from Manitoba, but that's still kinda... slow...

Ride the Best!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Everyone is failing to read between the lines here.
The liability insurance for the OFSC went from $385,000 per year in 2000/01 to $2,100,000 last year to $3,300,000. ( THAT'S 3.3 MILLION DOLLARS PER YEAR.)
We are at a crossroads here friends.
We can continue to do what we've been doing for 1 or 2 more years or we can take the responsible route here and try to prevent the slick lawyers, the mis-guided judges that award these outrageous settlements, and the stupid idiots that get all juiced up, ( 63% of fatalities ) fly down our trails at breakneck speeds, ( 76% of fatalities ) endangering themselves and everyone else misfortunate enough to have been in the wrong place at the wrong time, put an end to our favourite past-time. (Yeah a 5 year old will understand why Mommy or Daddy won't be coming home anymore. NOT!!!) Save the racing for the race track. I enjoy going at a reasonable clip just like everyone else does. There's a time and place for it though. Most accidents happen late at night, after too much liquid courage with too much speed.
The writings on the wall.
We can all buy ditch banger sleds and ride the ditches like in the old days because all trail organizations couldn't afford liability insurance that are based on risk assessments ( That translates into how likely the insurance carriers are going to have to pay out on a claim.) because a few idiots had to ruin it for the majority of the safe, sensible riders out there.
OR
We can take the responsible approach and put measures into place that NOBODY LIKES, including me, that will allow us to enjoy this sport for many, many years to come.
There aren't too many cops on the trails that will cite you for being a bit over the speed limit out in the open with no approaching sleds coming at you. Add trees, turns, any traffic, poor visibility, nightime, alcohol, an attitude towards them doing their job, etc. They'll throw the book at you. And so they should.
That's the ONLY way we'll be able to get to be too old for sledding.

What you need to ask yourself here is, "WHICH TYPE OF RIDER WILL I BE THIS WINTER?" and "FOR HOW MANY MORE YEARS DO I WANT TO BE DOING THIS?"
It's up to you, you decide.

Thanks for my rant and I can't appologize to those I'm sure I'll upset, but the majority of sledders out there don't have a clue how close we are to ending our sport. For those that don't believe me, take a close look at personal water-craft sales over the last few years. That didn't even involve insurance problems. Nobody ever thought they would decline. Without insurance, we're ditchbanging. How long do you think governments will let you ride there when they start getting sued. The current landowners won't let us ride on their property. They're allready scared of being sued. We just lost a landowner for that very reason 2 weeks ago.

Good Luck to us all!
Jeff

RIDE SAFE - RIDE SOBER
or
DRIVE LIKE LIGHTNING,
CRASH LIKE THUNDER!!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
hello bigwilly I want to answer your question about hockey. I was talking NHL, Toronto Maple Leafs to be exact. I must warn you ahead of time that I am of the same mould as Don Cherry. I dont think I have disagreed with anything he's ever said. I was watching hockey as a child in the days of Gordie Howe, Bobby Orr, Bobby Hull, Tony Esposito, Jean Beliveau, Davie Keon etc. Every boy around wanted to be like them. Everyone knew all the players on every team. These guys could play it finesse or rough. But one thing was for sure the game was going to be exiting. They played thier hearts out for small saleries. Today you have a bunch of primadona millionairs many with names you cant even pronounce worried only about thier next big payday. There is a little weasle from the States that is the President of the league and he never even played the game. The last game I suffered through had 18 penalties. There was no flow no body contact no exitment and it was absoulutely boring. They are succeeding in there mission this year to crack down on obstruction but they have also been giving boarding and charging penalties for good hard clean hits. I used to love to go to a game now I cant/wont afford it. Anyway we are far far apart on this issue but it dosnt matter. its just our opinions. I have tons of other reasons hockey sucks today but I dont want to type them all. Just listen to good old Don Cherry and you will be hearing my side on the issue too.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
One thing is that I never liked Don Cherry. He may have been a good coach and all but a lot of things that he says I just can't agree with him. Good hard cleand hits are great I love seeing em as well as handing em out, but I only like them when they are just that clean hits. On Sunday we played a game and a guy took a run at one of our players from in front of his net never slowed down and missed him by inches(luckily our guy had his head up) and broke a sheet of glass. I think that they call useless penalties on people for boarding and charging to prevent people from wanting to do that. Oh yeah I hate Gary Betman as well. This is just how I see it I am not trying to make you mad or anything but I haven't watched an NHL game in a long time (playoffs) because the hockey I can watch around here is far more exciting.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts