Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I cleaned the carbs on the indy trail, threw new plugs at it, cleaned the tank, but the pickup tube inside broke off, so i got it out and was going to get a new one. I put a small funnel on the fuel line, filled it w/ gas and ran it a little, ran great! The tank/seat is still off due to pickup tube, and airbox is off. So in an attempt to keep dirt out of the carbs i stuffed small rags in the carb throats, I planned on putting it all back together once I got the new tube. So my nephew was over playing on it, told him to get off it, he did. Well, I went in to make us lunch and the little rip started it, opened the throttle up, and pow! Sucked a rag through on the left side. Took intake boot off so I could see in the jug better--busted the skirt right off the piston. I may need anger mngmt. now. Anyone else have a similar story?

·
Registered
634 Posts
LOL[eek2] Dude i know i shouldnt laugh but man that sucks!!! My little brother thought it would be fun to take my dads sled out for a ride (99 cat 700) when he hit when he hit the small brick building, hes lucky he didnt get hurt. We feel ur pain/anger

2010329215914886_30823.jpg

2010329215846109_30823.jpg

2010329215815666_30823.jpg

2010329215745842_30823.jpg

2010329215712910_30823.jpg

·
Registered
443 Posts
Is your throat alittle sore from yelling jeez i would be so pissed.

·
Registered
634 Posts
how old was ur nephew?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hes 11, at this rate he wont see 12....

oh no polaris guy, that cat is a little bent. Its hard to get too mad, I was a dumb kid before I guess. Hey not only that, But now the indy will have a fresh top end for the season. Did your little bro get in a heap of trouble or what?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Ya dad was pissed!!! we all thought he wouldnt live to see 15. but we were all glad he was still alive. he hit the old barn at about 40 we think with the brakes locked up. he turned just in time to catch the corner of the building and jumped off the back about 5 feet before he hit. lucky little man
hey a new top end isnt always a bad thing. make him work his butt off for it

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Holy Crap!!!![Wow] I wasn't expecting that when I started to read your post!! Too bad, but like you said, you'll have a new top end.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Moral of the story: When kids are around, take the keys with you!!!!

Wow, that sucks. On a positive note, now you have an excuse to bore and stroke it!!!! [thumb]

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
yeah i tell ya them damn kids

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I know guys 30-40 years old that continue to do stupid stuff just like your nephew. Kids that age have impulse control issues when they see something they like. Now is the time to break him of that habit!!

Otherwise, I second poo kids advice, take the keys when any dumb a$$ comes over.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He feels really sorry for what he did, and I just cant stay mad at him. And yes he will be mowing my lawn until the snow flies, his dad says if he doesnt hes grounded till xmas! The sled has almost 6k anyways, probably time for that top end. Im just hoping that chunk of piston didnt tear up the jug, or worse the bottom end. I wont tear it down until I have the top end so its not open in the elements. Its outside on a pallet and skis on wheels, you can kinda see it in my gallery, where the kids are on the little doo

·
Registered
192 Posts
i wasnt going to chime in on this but, honestly? i think you made a dumb mistake forgetting the rags were in there, or something to that effect and YOU started it and are trying to pawn the blame off on your nephew so you didnt have to look/feel like an idiot to everyone here, ofcourse i could be wrong, but even if you did do it dont feel bad, even the best mechanics make dumb mistakes, but take the blame for your own mistakes! just cant seem to figure out how he would have started it if you had the tank etc off like you said and had to run it with a small funnel on the fuel line.... ofcourse, theres the possibility that you left a small amount of gas in the line/cylinder allowing it enough to start, but i dont think thats the case here really, i think you would have ran it dry when using the funnel. not to mention i know if i heard that sled start i woulda been out the door before he had a chance to even think of hitting that throttle! and you dont seem truly mad about it at all and i think you would be if you already told him once not to play on it/with it... i do apologize if im wrong, but if im not, man up!

·
Registered
634 Posts
^^REALLY^^

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
FIRST OF ALL I DIDNT FORGET THE RAGS WERE IN THERE, SECONDLY THE CARBS WILL STILL HOLD FUEL DUMMY, AND THIRD HES MY NEPHEW, NOT A TRASH TALKING JERK LIKE YOU. I dont know how you treat family in new york, but around here we forgive. Hes only 11 for cryin out loud. And I agree, we do ALL make dumb mistakes, and heres one I made the other day: Changed oil on my wifes hyundai, after adding new oil I started it. The oil light was still on after like 30 sec. of running, the old filter gasket was stuck to the block, so The new filter didnt seal.... oil all over the ground. Hows that for "Manning up?" Oh yeah by the way I DID run outside, but do you know how fast it happened? NO! Do you know anything about the layout of my yard? NO! Nice try douche bag, but your wrong, you sound like a real know it all, I bet you could back into a parked car and say "It wasnt my fault"

·
Registered
192 Posts
dirtydan said:
FIRST OF ALL I DIDNT FORGET THE RAGS WERE IN THERE, SECONDLY THE CARBS WILL STILL HOLD FUEL DUMMY, AND THIRD HES MY NEPHEW, NOT A TRASH TALKING JERK LIKE YOU. I dont know how you treat family in new york, but around here we forgive. Hes only 11 for cryin out loud. And I agree, we do ALL make dumb mistakes, and heres one I made the other day: Changed oil on my wifes hyundai, after adding new oil I started it. The oil light was still on after like 30 sec. of running, the old filter gasket was stuck to the block, so The new filter didnt seal.... oil all over the ground. Hows that for "Manning up?" Oh yeah by the way I DID run outside, but do you know how fast it happened? NO! Do you know anything about the layout of my yard? NO! Nice try douche bag, but your wrong, you sound like a real know it all, I bet you could back into a parked car and say "It wasnt my fault"
see, now thats how mad i woulda have gotten had i told my nephew to stay away from it and he still proceeded to mess with it, and i do understand hes only 11. no need to get hostile, [duel] i tried to put it nicely and maybe shouldnt have said it at all, but there were other bits of info, and by reading previous posts of yours i just couldnt beleive the whole story. maybe im just in an arguementive mood tonight because your not the first person ive called out today...you may be being 100% truthful, i dont know you well, and like i said before, i do apologize if you are, it was just my suspicions. [beer]

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ya sorry dude, it just made me mad that you came at me that way, and I yelled and screamed at him, but as time goes by Its like hell with it ya know? This actually happened a while back, im new here and didnt want to start of with a poor me story, but I had to tell it. Sorry again

·
Registered
192 Posts
see, now i can beleive your being honest, i just knew there was more to the story after reading this post and especially after reading previous posts from you saying it was blown up before this topic even started. i didnt want to go into full detail as i dont have the time to sit and type all night just wanted to get my point across.. as ive said in my previous posts, it may have been him and now i beleive more that it was, but i knew there was more to the story then what was being said. i knew i would be the "azzhole" for saying it and get negs for speaking my opinion, but you cant bull$hit a bull$hitter... just glad you decided to "man up". honestly, i wasnt to sure what to make of your post but i knew there was more to it after reading your previous posts. i dont post much but do read just about every topic here daily and couldnt help but mention it...ill apologize again for calling you out i know how easily that can piss a guy off, just glad the truth came out. no hard feelings here toward you. ps. i do understand the young age thing but you cant help but be pissed, i would have forgiven him as well after a lil while and now understand why you werent fired up anymore since it was awhile ago, but actually i treat my family very well(with alot of respect) unlike alot of "newyorkers". i was not born or raised here, fortunatelly. im a country boy and always will be [beer]
and polarisguy23, or anyone else who neg'd me, Yes, "^^REALLY^^"!!! [kat]

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Im not sure how there is more to the story, I never even said when it happened when I posted it. Why are you so concerned about it? Not trying to get in to it again, but whats the deal? How is it ""manning up""? I just dont get it. But like you said, no hard feelings, I dont carry grudges anyway... so have a good one and lets bolth pray for snow!!!!

P.S. I should have included the day it happened and all this would have been avoided, I guess I do get it

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
dirtydan said:
Im not sure how there is more to the story, I never even said when it happened when I posted it. Why are you so concerned about it? Not trying to get in to it again, but whats the deal? How is it ""manning up""? I just dont get it.
Glad I wasnt the only one that couldnt make any sence of that,I even read it twice to be sure I wasnt missing something. Some people.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts