Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this winter is just getting worse and worse for me. Well, we go the piston kit today for the phazer, and we take it down to the machine job so the machinist cant bore the cylinders to the size of the new .40 pistons. He puts it in and it goes right through! he measures the cylinders and we find out that they have already been bored .40 over!. So we decide to take the piston kit all the way back to the store (hour and a half drive) so we could get our money back today. We also phone a salvage place and ask if they have a jug for a phazer, they say they do so we go there after we get home and go get the used jug and order another piston, ring, gasket set. They said it should be in thursday, and since the good jug is bored .40 over we are gonna bore the new jug .20 over so it won't be so lopsided...We would get .40 over, but we can't just get idividual .40 pistons/rings, they come in sets. The machinist and mechanic said it should be fine. So all and all it wasn't a very good day, hopefully we can get it running by friday or monday..Hmm probably not, knowing my luck! :(

·
Registered
172 Posts
That really seems odd to me.. the first thing any machine shop does (that I've dealt with, anyway) is get a measurement on any cylinder to be bored to see what needs to be done.
Why don't you just get your cylinders sleeved? That'll probably be cheaper than buying another jug & getting it honed.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya, I know that's what we thought...It was the machine shops mistake. Hmm actually no it's costing less this way. 100 for the jug, 70 for piston, rings, full gasket set, etc...and 40bucks to bore. To sleeve it's 99.99 plus tax for sleeve, then it has to be machined in which is alot...then we still need the piston set and gasket set.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts