Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw a few posts regarding leaking grommets at bottom of oil bottle and just wondering
if anyone got theirs fixed and how was it done?
My 2002 Classic 700 leaks over the summer ,winter is ok , guess the oil thickens
when it gets cold and it stops leaking.
I want to get this fixed in the next few weeks before it gets too cold to work on it.

Thanks

·
Registered
463 Posts
ive fixed two of these oil reservoir leaks, both cases were the grommet and fitting on the bottom of the tank that was leaking! in one case i just replaced the fitting and grommet with new polaris parts, the second case was more of an emergency in wich we pulled the fitting out and used "seal-all" to seal the leak ( this method actually held up really well and never started to leak again ) ! of course though i'd always recommend using new replacement parts!

in any event, siphon the oil out of the tank, remove the tank, replace/repair grommet and fitting. the fitting simply pulls out of the grommet. it's a compression type fitting where when you push the fitting into the grommet it expands the grommet thus creating a seal!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
danoxcr600 said:
ive fixed two of these oil reservoir leaks, both cases were the grommet and fitting on the bottom of the tank that was leaking! in one case i just replaced the fitting and grommet with new polaris parts, the second case was more of an emergency in wich we pulled the fitting out and used "seal-all" to seal the leak ( this method actually held up really well and never started to leak again ) ! of course though i'd always recommend using new replacement parts!

in any event, siphon the oil out of the tank, remove the tank, replace/repair grommet and fitting. the fitting simply pulls out of the grommet. it's a compression type fitting where when you push the fitting into the grommet it expands the grommet thus creating a seal!!
Thanks

How did you get the oil bottle out, did you have to remove the seat and gas tank?

This seems to be a pretty common problem with these sleds.

·
Registered
463 Posts
the bottle on my 00 xc700 just had a few bolts mounting it to the bulkhead! no i didnt have to remove the seat or gas tank

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Info on replacing oil tank grommet on my machine.

With some friends help,I managed to install a new grommet in the bottom of the oil tank on my Classic 700.
On a 2002 Classic 700, the oil jug and area underneath the air box is all one big assembly held on with two rivets down by the motor and near impossible to remove. A third rivet is at the top of the oil jug part, we removed this rivet , but may not have needed to. Also the steering shaft runs through the area beside the actual jug. We loosened the top of the steering shaft to be able to tilt the shaft forward a little bit.
I was told by a dealer that there "could" be room under the jug to pull the oil sending unit and the grommet out but this was not the case. An oil line to the pump was also attached to the sending unit and could not be removed this way.
We ended up removing the seat and gas tank and presto , by tilting the bottle assembly forward as far as it would go, due to steering shaft limitation, we got the sending unit and grommet out and replaced the grommet using some silicone sealer to hopefully prevent further leaks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts