Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do they make oil filters for snowmobiles? I have a 1996 Skidoo Skandic 500 air cooled and there is a filter (looks like a gas filter) prior to going into the oil injection unit. Is this correct? What is/should be the maintenance??[8D]

·
Registered
366 Posts
my dealer replaced mine both this year and last year as a part of my preseason tuneup. I would think that is over kill but if you havn't changed it before it's prolly a good idea to do it.

Rich

·
Registered
78 Posts
That is the oil filter. It usually is on the downstream side of the oil line just below the reservoir, but before the injector. It will filter out particles (mostly ice crystals) before they go into the oil injector. This should be an annual replacement, a good end-of-season item. Filters are cheap (shoudln't be more that $10.00), but dont use a fuel filter, use an oil filter. They are not the same, although they may look the same.
Word of caution, after changing the filter, make sure the oil system does not have an "air-lock" in it. Stop the engine after the first few minutes to ensure that oil is flowing. You can also soak the filter in injector oil overnight before you install it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts