Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, i got a 2000 xcsp and was going to delete the oil injection. but on the slp website it says no domestic twins... i have no clue what that means. will this work? or could i just unplug my oil injection and mix my gas

http://www.slp.cc/catalog.cfm?pageID=detail&catalogID=3&catID=18&productID=158

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Domestic twins are the Liberty motors, built in the USA. Which yours is a Liberty, which means that part won't work with your motor.

·
Registered
67 Posts
ditchbanger24 said:
piece of mind pretty much...or could i just leave the oil injection on and mix my gas also?
Keep in mind that Polaris put alot of research into injection pumps and short forgetting to keep oil in them I don't personally know anyone that has ever had a problem with one failing. Now I know that a 100 guys will get on here with horror stories but really do you KNOW anyone that has had a pump fail?

·
Registered
197 Posts
I think the plate is all you need put a little gasket sealant on it before installation.Block the carb holes and pto oiler(some run a little bottle for the pto bearing)I deleted my triple that is what the other part is for triples run off a gear on the crank and the other part makes a tight seal.I like mixing it is peace of mind and it lightens the sled a bite.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys. I know you guys are going to say keep the oil injection, but i want to mix my gas. so all ill need is the plate? there are three hoses, 2 go to nipples on the case and i havnt found out where the other one goes...what would i do with those?

·
Registered
197 Posts
should be two off the carbs I use auto carb nipples and some sealant I run mine at 40:1 to 50:1 you might want to do some looking around on the web for your sled.Oil pump fail from time to time the belt on the twin break also if you break a pull rope with some rope left inside the rope can get caught in the belt and break it this takes out the oil pump and the water pump at least with mix your still getting oil as long as your temp light works and you shut it down before it over heats bad.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
To each their own. What 'peace of mind" will this give you? The oil system is probably one of the most reliable parts of the sled.

Mixing the gas is a pain in the you know what. It will not lighten anything up. You still have to put the oil in the tank and carry extra oil when you ride. What fun.

I don't really care what you do, but I'll tell you what I think and give my honest thoughts. If this offends you, I apologize but your idea needs to be thought through a little more.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ride 2 stroke dirt bikes. mixing gas is no problem for me and i always wear a back pack when i ride with a liter of gas and a quart of oil and some tools. mixing gas only takes a few seconds anyways... i usually go to the store and buy 5 gallons of gas and put 4 ounces of oil per gallon. Also when your at the pump it tells you how many gallons you are getting. its simple and no big deal

on the 00 xc 600 the oil lines do not go in the carb, they go into 2 nipples on the case and mix there. I guess im just being anal with my stuff and dont want to blow it up. my other question is will i hurt anything if i plug up the nipples on the case? im guessing no, but just making sure

·
Registered
197 Posts
Im sorry i should of asked what size your sled is I have only worked with big block twins and triples.No it doesnt hurt to block them off with a nipple just use some sealant to make sure they dont come off maybe even a small tie strap around the nipple.If memory serves me correctly your sleds water and oil pump do run of the crank the first piece from slp in the pic keeps the volume of the case the same you probably want something there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what could i put in there sense the slp one doesnt fit? ive been researching this for a while but i havn't found a whole lot of answers. but i aprecciate all your help

·
Registered
197 Posts
ok I found this kit it says its covers 600's give them a call to confirmhttp://psipowerinc.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=45_28_49_22_27&products_id=89&osCsid=oacqncuaiqutljx

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
I know what ditchbanger is gettin at, those flimsy little vacuum cleaner belts Polaris used to drive the oil and water pumps are not bullet proof. You find out they're broken when your engine seizes due to oil starvation or overheating.

If I were to eliminate oil injection on a BB twin I would use the block off plate, tape off the oil inlets on the carbs and run the lines that connect the the crank bearings into some sort of T fitting so you can periodically feed oil to these areas with a syringe.

·
Registered
197 Posts
well if there is a feed for the bearing they are there for a reason the case does collect some oil for them but doing a little reading around the net I found some treads on a oil reservoir on doo 440 race sleds usehttp://www.dootalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=404337 or look for something at a hardware or auto motive store for one

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
A little oil does get to the crank bearings when you premix, but you said you'd rather be safe than sorry by doing the oil injection, dirctly injecting oil into the crank bearings every now and then is being safer.

·
Registered
718 Posts
what i do with both my snowmachines is that i mix and use the injector. piece of mind there.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
I'm thinking that checking them vacuum cleaner belts twice a season, is a hell of a lot easier than premixing oil every time I need to fuel up.

For drag racing, I can see the need to oil delete and premix, otherwise not needed for weight. But for weight savings, I only keep my oil tank 1/4 full unless I'm going on over 100 mile ride. Same with fuel.. An extra gallon of fuel in the tank weights more than the entire oiling system. (as mentioned above, the oil needs to be in the fuel tank to replace the oil bottle) So I only ride with enough fuel to get where I'm going and some for detours to go play.

I also have peace of mind that my crank bearings have plenty of oil.. The first sled I bought had a blown crank bearing, it damaged the crankshaft, and cost me over $700 to fix by the time all was said and done.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Well I have to revisit this topic because I was out this weekend on a ride and I stated to notice a hiccup in my sleds performance so I shut it down popped the hood looked around for some of the obvious signs and noticed my oil pump hanging down it broke right off the recoil housing and the shaft moves freely.Got it back to the trailer on premix. I replaced it two seasons ago with a new from polaris 201111013574395_21419.jpg
2011110135727489_21419.jpg
2011110135747176_21419.jpg
2011110135758332_21419.jpg
2011110135811520_21419.jpg
when I did a complete rebuild(bottom end lined bored with and modded for big ring bearing,cylinders,pistons,rings,water pump the whole nine yards) due to a pull rope break extra rope inside got caught in belt took out water and oil .I inspected the belt and pump earlier this year.I deleted the pump on my triple this year now I think its time for the twin.Just my personal experience now I have another rebuild a head of me I havent inspected yet and it still pulls over keeping my fingers crossed

1 - 20 of 21 Posts