Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride a 2002 summit 700. It uses lots of oil. I use a quart for about 6 gallons of gas. That is a 25:1 ratio. I would like to have about a 40:1 ratio. Is there an adjustment other than the cable length adjustment on the pump itself. The dealer replaced the original pump because it was "sticking" and using lots of oil. The new pump uses just as much oil as the old pump did. He said this is normal. I don't believe it. I have ridden sleds and dirt bikes all my life and have never used so much oil. I premix my boat at 50:1. All that extra oil is just a waste and makes a lot of unburned oil smoke clogging up the Rave Valves. Any help?

Dennis

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'd be intersted in any answers to this one...I've been burning through oil at 4x the rate of my buddies. Went through 4l (one gallon) in 350 miles of riding whereas everyone else used only 1 litre!

I checked my adjustment and it was off a bit, since correcting it its been a bit better but still uses considerably more oil than similar machines. However I would have thought that if the pump wasn't working right I'd be getting less rather than more oil. I don't dare change my oil filter...that may be the only thing keeping oil in the resevoir!!!

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
2 questions:
Are you sitting in a blue cloud at idle?
What do the plugs look like, black?

I think the only way to set the oil mixture is with the cable.

There is no way you should go through 4 litres of oil in 350 miles...it takes me around 1000 to go though that much.

·
Registered
206 Posts
They don't call my Smokey for nothin'!

It is a little smokey at idle, worse than others but not too bad. And yes the plugs were black but they didn't foul. Used the same pair all season.

I'm apprehensive about adjusting the cable beyond what the notches indicate - rather burn oil than blow a piston. But at the cost of oil these days I'm wondering if pistons aren't cheaper!!!

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I'd back it off and keep checking the plugs till they are dark brown...that is still rich, but man you are loosing octane running it that rich.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I have gone through 5 Liters of oil in 775 miles. The dealer keeps telling me it is normal. Bunk. It doesn't make any difference by changing the cable. I have moved it from one extreem to the other. No change. It smokes so bad that I cannot let it idle. I talked him into installing a new pump but it does the same thing. I don't want to take off the pump and go to premix but I also don't want to drive around in a cloud of smoke all day. Cough Cough.

Dennis

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oops, I ment to say 5 Gallons not 5 liters in my last post. I have used 5 gallons of oil in 775 miles.

Dennis

·
Registered
206 Posts
5 Gallons!!! Man I thought I had it bad!!! There's is absolutely no way it should be using that much. Can't believe the dealer said that was normal! I'm guessing he is the guy selling you the oil.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Geeze D...there is no way in hell that or any other sled should go through that much oil.
Screw the dealer, call Bombarier and bitch to them.
5 frick'en gallons...that is insane!

"Fill the oil and check the gas"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I took it back to the dealer again today. He put a seal on the exhaust manifold and plugs in both of the intakes. He then pressurized the engine to check for a "Center section leak". Whatever that is? He said everything is normal. I bought two more gallons of oil!!! That is #6 and #7. I think that should get me through the weekend. At $20 a gallon, I am going broke putting oil in this pig.

Dennis

·
Registered
749 Posts
i would turn it down. if a sled is running rich on oil it will still run all season on one pair of plugs ,or mine did anyways. i would think if it is burning that much oil then your power valves would be clogged as well. That much oil is not good for your sled.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
I have been told that every manufacturer goes a little heavy on the pump setting. This is to cover their butts on engine failures. I don't know the exact amount ,but you can back it off slightly and if you are running synthetic even a little more. Maybe some else can shed a little more light on this??

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have a 97 Ski Doo Grand touring SE 670 and even though I think that I don't get that good of oil (and gas) milaege, I guess I do ok, I only use about ONE-HALF to ONE gallon in maybe 300+ miles...(I don't usually let the reservoir get less than half full) and I run blue oil, one thing that may help you on the price of oil is to bring back your container, I get a $4-$5 dollar discount for bringing back my own container.

·
Registered
197 Posts
the 700 engine in your summit wes discontinued in 03. too many failures! have a bud w/same machine(he is on 2nd rebuild!) i recomend leaving it run rich or replace the cable if it looks suspicious at all

·
Registered
128 Posts
do the math boys how much gas did you burn? for example a lot of machines will hold 45 liters of gas. at a 50 to 1 ratio the machine should use just about 1 liter of oil. the point here is depending on how you drive and how well your machine is running can make a big difference on both oil and gas consumption. in other words if you bag drive it your going to use a lot of oil and gas. i would not screw around with your pump settings until you figure out what ratio you are actually at. the real question is how many liters per tank of gas not miles. [:)]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts