Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fried a piston, and cylinder on my 98 ZR 500 while on the trail in the U.P. But was able to make it back the last 3 miles (low speed) to the trailer riding on the good cylinder(Which I probably should not have done). During repair, it was noticed that the throttle cable to the Oil pump was broken and was told this could have been my problem. But I am not so sure about that.

Question, If I lost Oil connection and still rode 3 miles, wouldn't I have burned up the other cylinder? Thoughts anyone?

Thanks much.[V]

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Yes, it's probably what made the one side pop.

Yes, it would have caused damage to the other one, but you said you drove low speed. If your RPM's were low enough, your engine was still getting idle RPM oil. So it was getting some.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Even driveing easy a 500 ZR would probably be turning around 5000 RPM at the verry least.you likely have some damage to the other side too.a simple compression test will tell you a lot.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
I had that happen on my 98 xc 700 but, when polaris cables break the oil pump goes to full on. It pumps oil for all its worth. I almost ran out of oil in the tank but at least I got home.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I had this happen to my xc 700 2 weeks ago and mine didnt pump any oil it fried my cylinder I had to pour all the oil from my oil tank into my gas tank to get home

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
the arm on my pump was pointing toward the tunnel (straight down). I used the whole tank of oil in 50 miles. When I noticed the oil light came on I stoped and wired the arm half up so not to use as much oil and drove it at 5000 rpms. When I got close to home I was almost out. Luckly we were by a resort and bought a gallon of ski doo oil off a guy and that got me home. That oil was the worst smelling stuff I have ever used.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all your input. I am trying to find out if the fried piston was the result of broken cable. Because when pulled off the exhaust manefold, There appeared to be plenty of oil in the exhaust port of the jug. I am wondering if it broke during repair. The Piston I lost was brand new. I am also curious if the rings were not properly set. I suppose I should just move on but I don't want to have this happen again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts