Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if you could just run gas and oil mix on a oil injected sled? im not to sure if the injector works thats why i am askin also there is a hose that is broken off and i have no clue where it goes its a small black hose about the size of a primer hose anyone have any idea where that goes?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi there,
You can run premix. I do it on a lot of my older sleds. I cut the two lines from the pump to the intake manifold. Then I plug the four ends with screws and clamps so no oil pumps out the line and no air is sucked into the manifold creating a lean out. I also cut the oil line from the oil tanks to the injector and plug it with a bolt. Then you could run a premix. Use a brand oil such as Polaris or Yamalube at 40:1. I use Ipone and run 50:1 and have never has a problem.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i would liek to run the oil injector but was wondering there is a blue oil in there but i use a diffrent oil can i just add it or do i have to take the old oil out? also how can i find out if the injector is working?

·
Registered
765 Posts
yes it is fine, but as Mehalco said remember to plug the lines from the injector to the intake

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hey 74cat,
The best way to check if the injector is working is to pull the two lines connected to the intake manifold and run the engine. Oil should pump out the lines. You may also want to run premix in the tank when you do it so you don't burn the engine form lack of oil. If the injector works and you want to keep using it, I would recommend draining the oil tank to almost empty then add you new oil. I wouldn't mix the oils just in case one is synthetic and one is petroleum. The two don't mix.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i dont see any lines that run to the intake tehre is a broken line very small one but i donno where it goes its broken off at the nipple part

·
Registered
288 Posts
The old manuals for my 74 cheetah 340 say to run 20:1, has that changed with oil technology? also what would be the correct mix for a break in period?

·
Registered
127 Posts
They recommended 20:1 in the old days. Most oils today recommend 40:1. I alway run my premix sleds at 50:1 and have never had a problem. Break ins with oil injection they say to pre mix at 50:1 for the first tank. I use to use OEM brand oils which work fine but tend to smoke more. I switched to Blue Marble and the smoke went down but seemed to nose burning smell. I'm using Ipone synthetic now and it smell pretty good with a Strawberry Smell.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hey 74cat,
What model is the Yamaha? I want to try find it in one of my old manuals to see if they have a diagram of the injection system so I can figure it out for you.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1972 yamaha sl 292b and the carb on it is a 1971 sl 292

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi there,

I looked through several parts manuals and it's really hard to tell where the oil line goes from the injector. To me it looks like it may go to the front of the carb. Most newer sled feed the oil to the manifold. I only see one line from the injector since it's a single cylinder. Check to see if there are any inlets not used or broken off the carb, that may be where the oil line goes. I think if it was mine I'd just plug the oil lines and run premix. If you do, plug all lines that are not fuel or vacuum. I wished I had the exact answer. Good Luck

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well im gonna go check out a 71 that should be the same exept it has no carb on it but i may be able to find somthing out

i was also wondering if anyone knew the order that the diaphrams go in i know this sounds stupid as i should of watched which went where when i took them off but my bad
thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts