Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[?][?][/size=1][blue][/blue]
Working on my second tank of break in gas/premix after a total rebuild of an 91 Indy 500. Noticed from day one after the rebuild that a bit of oil/gas mixture seems to gather on the engine mount plate right below the exhaust manifold side of the cylinders. Sled is running great but this bit of a puddle is worrying me. Some folks have told me this is normal and is just spitting back out the exhaust cause of all the extra oil. Another thought I heard was that the gaskets had not yet fully sealed. Any thoughts or has anyone seen this happen and then eventually clearup? Thanks, Dan in NH

·
Registered
85 Posts
yeah, probably just blow by but, keep an eye on it thats for sure, mine did that for a while but the more i would ride it, the less it became, you could seal the exhaust flanges with some high temp silicone gasket material, slp recomends it on the pipe installation.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Watch your top end rpm's, if they start getting above your speced rpm, you could have an air leak some where. This happend to my 97 XLT SP after a rebuild. RPM's shot up to 9000 and popped a piston. Base gasket was faulty, and leaked air in.

But chances are its just leaking out of your head pipe gasket.

·
Registered
199 Posts
my sled does the same thing,it's a mess.but it must b just blow by on mine since i mix my fuel.if u have an inj. pump 4 the oil i would make sure its not leaking.on mine the fitting came loose where it goes into the manifold.that's why i had 2 rebuild last year. good luck

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Hey Fish,
After the rebuild did you warm the engine up and re-torque the heads after it cooled down?
You should do that at least 3 times.
Your head gaskets will compress after heating up and need too be sucked up again.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have not torqued head bolts 3 times but once after the first 3 hours or so. Oil does not seem to be up where head meets cylinder though.
Thanks to all you guys and to any others to come with ideas. I'm hoping it's just blow by and should go away after I stop using the extra break in oil. Love this forum!!!
Dan in NH

1 - 7 of 7 Posts