Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I have a 00' polaris 600 and went for a quick ride today.after getting home I put it away and hours later found a puddle of oil under my sled.I lifted the cowl and looked down by my chaincase cover to see oil under a metal plate thats under the chaincase cover.I wiped the oil up and wiped under the chaincase cover.It looks as if it's NOT coming from the chaincase cover seal.Can anyone tell me where in fact it could be coming from? I looked in my shop manual and looks as if there's two seals on the back side of the chaincase cover that are made of rubber that hold the chaincase oil in.Could this be the spot it's leaking from?? If so it's off to the dealer for a fix.
Any help from you guys would be super because the snow is coming and I want to ride while the snow is here for now.Thanks a milion. Sparkyd31[V]

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Did the oil is leaking on the sprocket side or the cover side.? what kind of oil is leaking? Maybe dumb question but are you sure its not the oil tank that is leaking? If its coming from the chain case, buy the 2 seals and cover gasket (rubber), pull the cover out, unscrew the 2 gear bolt and nuts. Take out gears and chain pull the case itself and check for bearing damage. change both seals and after cleaning all the parts put back together. 2 hours of work and your done!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's clear like the amsoil chaincase oil I put it last year.Also when I pulled my chaincase dipstick,It's down below the min line on the dipstick so it's the chaincase oil for sure because end of last year I filled it so it was between the two lines like it should be (min and max).What seal do you think is bad? Is it the bottom one or the top or both?
Thanks,sparkyd31

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Originally posted by sparkyd31
[br]It's clear like the amsoil chaincase oil I put it last year.Also when I pulled my chaincase dipstick,It's down below the min line on the dipstick so it's the chaincase oil for sure because end of last year I filled it so it was between the two lines like it should be (min and max).What seal do you think is bad? Is it the bottom one or the top or both?
Thanks,sparkyd31
Man, those seals are cheap, if one is leaking, change both. This will prevent some issues later[;)]

·
Registered
661 Posts
Have you checked the chaincase oil level? If it is full, I would look to the oil tank / lines.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
timber 500,
As my above post stated my chaincase dipstick is lower than the min line witch means my chaincase oil is leaking.Thanks anyways for the tip.
Sparkyd31

·
Registered
661 Posts
OOPS Sorry, I didn't catch that. Sounds like it's the seals in the case, not the cover. I would replace both while you have it out to be safe.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for the help.It's at the dealer now and will be home in a few days.
Dealer believes it's the seals also. Sparkyd31

1 - 8 of 8 Posts