Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay heres the story. Last spring I ripped apart the engine compartment, cleaned the bay, polished motor, pipes, etc. Anyways i had to disconnect the oil line and remove the oil cable linkage to remove the motor. I put everthing back together last spring and started it up just to make sure i didn't miss some connection or whatever. Well when i started it up the oil light came on. So i shut it off immediately. Well i had run the oil tank down super LOW so i added more oil, started it with the same result. Didn't want to keep it running so i shut it off again. Well I havn't started it yet this year, drained the tank, carbs n fogged it last spring. My question is why would the oil light come on??? I've talked to a car mechanic thats a friend and he says to bleed the oil line if it was low(which it was) because a air bubble might have caused the sensor to come on. Anyone know how to adjust and tell whether the motors getting proper lubrication? 99' xc sp 500. Thanks![attachment=52058]

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
It sounds like something is wrong with the sensor or wiring to the sensor. If the light is coming on and there is oil in the tank I don't see what else it could be because the sensor is in the tank. Is there oil in the lines going to the engine? Is there smoke coming from the exhaust? If so, I am sure the engine is getting oil. If you really want to make sure, pre-mix with your gas and get rid of the oil injection all together.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Yes, there should be either one or two scribe marks on the arm that the cable connects If there is one you need to align it at idle. If there are two you need to align one to idle and one to WOT.

In your picture it looks like the marks are in the incorrect area, did you remove the arm instead of just removing the cable?

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
The light has nothing to do with the pump. You need to check and see if the float on the sensor is stuck down.

Then I would go and adjust the cable so the marks on the pump line up with the mark or marks on the arm.

There was a topic about the adjustment on here a few days ago.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
It is not a pressure sender, just a level switch in the oil tank. Check you didn't pull a wire off or pinch one.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Yeha on ours the oil light comes on after the oil gets so low a little below the add 1 qt line. its not a big deal just check it and make shure it dosnet go empty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts