Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a little leak from my oil pan on my 92 gmc. So i took a look under and it seems like its coming out of a little pin hole or something, i cleaned the surfice and its just coming out of no where. its hard to tell from where because as soon as i wipe it oil starts coming out. Any of you have this problem before? Any kind of patch jobs i should do or just change the entire pan?

Thanks, James

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
If you want to randomly fix the leak after you hit a pothole, patch it.

Otherwise, replace the pan.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do they sell some kind of patch kits?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Best to change the pan, but i have fixed them with jb weld, you have to get all the oil out and then take a propane torch and heat up the pan where the hole is, to burn the oil off on the inside of the pan. If you dont it will just fall off.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
You could go to a junk yard and get one for real cheap. Those Chevy's are pretty common. 350?

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Think about this for a minute, Is a $2000.00 to $2500.00 motor worth a cheap patch job?? Get with the program and replace the oil pan. It is rusted out therefore it is junk. Been there, done that many times when I wrenched for a living.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
its a 305, i paid 800$ for the truck and a little low on cash thats why im wondering about the patch job. a new or use oil pan is probly worth more then what the truck is worth.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
A new oilpan from napa is $80

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
If it's aluminum there is aluminum welding rods that work great, you just heat up where the hole is then put the rod on there and it melt the rod then cools, it just like welding but without the mess or welder. Here's the website: http://durafix.com/

·
Registered
870 Posts
The pan on my 97 (5.7) has a very slight leak... at first I thought it was the drain plug or plug seal so I got a new plug & seal and took care of it when I changed the oil.

But no... its due to rust. Its a very slow leak and I'm tempted to try the "sheet metal screw and JB Weld" trick. A new pan is $50 plus $30 for a gasket set. I found out I have to pull the starter, undoing the motor mounts but the real pain is undoing the oil cooling lines (if you have a 4X4) then you need to lift the motor about an inch to remove it. If you do have a 4X4 and have not replaced those oil lines do it then... Mine rusted out and started leaking two years ago.

·
Registered
268 Posts
If your low on cash now then patch it for a temp fix and jb weld will work just fine.But I would replace it as soon as I could you can get a oilpan at the bone yard for like 15 bucks..

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jerkyking said:
The pan on my 97 (5.7) has a very slight leak... at first I thought it was the drain plug or plug seal so I got a new plug & seal and took care of it when I changed the oil.

But no... its due to rust. Its a very slow leak and I'm tempted to try the "sheet metal screw and JB Weld" trick. A new pan is $50 plus $30 for a gasket set. I found out I have to pull the starter, undoing the motor mounts but the real pain is undoing the oil cooling lines (if you have a 4X4) then you need to lift the motor about an inch to remove it. If you do have a 4X4 and have not replaced those oil lines do it then... Mine rusted out and started leaking two years ago.
Exactly my issue with changing it, i might as well patch it if it will be that much work.

kennybtrail1 said:
If your low on cash now then patch it for a temp fix and jb weld will work just fine.But I would replace it as soon as I could you can get a oilpan at the bone yard for like 15 bucks..
I was thinking of the jb weld, i still have some left from when i did my manifolds so i will have to try that. If that dont work im welding it.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
We've drained the oil overnight and had some good luck brazing small holes. Just another idea.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I just bought my truck but from what I can tell it looks a though someone just used a tube of black epoxy of some kind and just putty knifed it over the pan. It's holding but I don't know how long ago it was "fixed" or what, but it leaks nowhere now.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Hangman said:
We've drained the oil overnight and had some good luck brazing small holes. Just another idea.
Not a good idea from what I read online in a few Chevy Forums... all that heat will cause serious smoke.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts