Snowmobile Fanatics banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Just as another thing to throw out there, when was the last time you changed the oil filter? My '79 F150 was doing the exact same thing. The 400 in it enjoys it's oil so I just kept on adding oil and didn't pay attention to miles until it the oil pressure started acting up. Changed the filter and it's all golden again...until next time.

Just thought I would throw out an alternative option to try out before ordering a rebuild kit. If you do it yourself, you might be able to get away with dropping around $500 (complete rebuild kit) if you don't have to do machining. Probably add a couple hundred if you do, depending on whats needed. 350's are cheap to rebuild, plus you end up with something better then new (blocks get stronger over time) and don't have to worry about another engine going to crap on you for awhile...unless you get all wild with power adders.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yeah i changed my oil filter. But i added thicker oil and it helped the motor for now. the oil pressure still gets low but not as bad. When the truck has been running for an hour the oil pressure likes to hang around 15 - 20

Im probably just going to take the truck in. It has a few things wrong with it. One the 4wd doesn't work. But i think its the actuator thats causing that problem. And when im in 4L it will slowly come out of gear and grind my T case. The linkage is probably just messed up on that because the truck has a 3" lift in it. And theres a few small other things. So im just going to take it in.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yeah like when i was running 5w-30 in it it was getting to 0 after about a half hour. I put some 10w 40 in it and it seems to run fine for the first 45 mins. Then it seems to slowly drop. By 1 hour of running time its at 0. But if i give it the gas then it will go back up and once i let off the gas it slowly drops again as the engine rpms idle down. I just replaced my oil pan gasket because it leaked. But i need a new head gasket because i dont have any compression in one of the cylinders and it burns coolant because steam is coming out of my exhaust pipe. So would a blown head gasket possibly cause me to lose oil pressure?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Nope, your motor is hashed! There's no mechanic in a can for fixing main bearings that are worn. Your only option is a rebuild or a different motor, or a different truck! You can put all the thick oil or Lucas additives in you want, but your motor is still going to be junk...JUNK

·
Registered
464 Posts
coolant is sugar based if ya have a dead cylinder and have a head gasket leak your rod and main bearings are toast and probably the cam bearings also its motor time
the antifreeze in the oil will destroy crank bearings in a hurry

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I mean its worth dropping another motor in it. Because this truck is nice!! Theres no rust on it anywhere (except for the back of the frame where the spare tire mounts) but it has a recent paint job and like brand new futura 33's... So im just going to keep this one and drop another motor in it. So once i get the money im going to do that! Which will probably be in a few weeks. Thanks for the info guys.

·
Registered
1 Posts
OK heres the deal. My trucks oil pressure drops when the trucks warm. After it runs for about a half hour it will slowly lose its oil pressure. Is it the oil pump? Because i thought usually its the other way around. Let me know. I have a spare oil pump but i dont want to put it in unless i know for sure its the oil pump. Let me know. Thanks for any input

~Ben
Check the oil pan temperature if its the same as water temperature before opening the oil cooler

21 - 28 of 28 Posts