Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me again. I investigated a little to see if my oil setting was set to high (rich?)

This is what I found
[galleryattach=12897]

From reading other threads (yes, I actually search)[:I] and advice from other members.
I think this is adjusted correctly. The hash marks are not lined up, BUT, when I lightly press the throttle it moves a little closer (there is a tiny bit of slack). And when I actually start to engage the throttle that is when they line up...

So am I correct in my thinking. This is the preferred way to have it set? The amount of oil won't increase until I am using the throttle?

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
If it were me, I would adjust the cable so the marks align when the sled is idling and any motion of the throttle will increase the oil. There shouldn't be any slack. I can't tell by your picture, but on my sleds, there are two hash marks; one at idle and one at wide open. I would want the indicating marks in perfect alignment at wide open to ensure adaquate oil. Wide open is much more critical than idle..

·
Registered
160 Posts
i agee with bc dan you want the marks to line up at wide open throttle for sure

·
Registered
685 Posts
FORSURE, there are 2 hash marks for a REASON....

1 for idle, 1 for WOT......
NO slack in the cable, ur going to starve ur motor at idle.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only one Hash mark, for Idle. My reading has led me to believe that the oil lever should not move until the the carbs open. My hash mark is off by 1/8" at that point.
Oil setting, just like jetting is set rich from factory.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Man... these sleds are incredible on oil.... I left mine set up the same as it came from the factory and in 600 miles I may have used 2-3 liters of oil. I wouldn't lean out an oil pump ever... oil is the life blood of your engine... Call me crazy but I'd rather change a sparkplug or 2 than crank bearings, rings, and pistons.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Originally posted by PolarisEdge
[br]Man... these sleds are icredible on oil.... I left mine set up the same as it came from the factory and in 600 miles I may have used 2-3 liters of oil. I wouldn't lean out an oil pump ever... oil is the life blood of your engine... Call me crazy but I'd rather change a sparkplug or 2 than crank bearings, rings, and pistons.
100% agree!

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Originally posted by BarkMulcher
[br]Me again. I investigated a little to see if my oil setting was set to high (rich?)

This is what I found
[galleryattach=12897]

From reading other threads (yes, I actually search)[:I] and advice from other members.
I think this is adjusted correctly. The hash marks are not lined up, BUT, when I lightly press the throttle it moves a little closer (there is a tiny bit of slack). And when I actually start to engage the throttle that is when they line up...

So am I correct in my thinking. This is the preferred way to have it set? The amount of oil won't increase until I am using the throttle?
You are correct.

The arms are not stamped the same I have seen them be different.

This is how all of mine are. 5000+ miles with no issues.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Why are you asking the question if your giving the answer?

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
^^^^^ Looking for reassurance.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by xcr440
[br]^^^^^ Looking for reassurance.
Can never have enough of that.

I'll adjust it to take up some of the slack in the line. But it will still be off the line a pinch.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Before your next ride fill your oil tank and fuel. Keep track of gallons of gas added and when you refill your oil tank measure it out and do the math. Normal trail riding etc on the new liberty twins will have you anywhere from 60:1 to 80:1 depending on how you ride. I had a throttle cable break on the trail on managed to make it to a dealer who didn't have the right one. well the only problem was that I was able to use it but it had the oil cable was too tight and it was adding too much oil. My sled would actually get hot, vapor lock and die. Swapped out the temp sensor (Had one with me) and still did it. Luther rigged the cable some more to where the lines matched up and all was well again. Never fouled a plug! I wouldn't have thought a little extra oil would do that............

·
Registered
448 Posts
So I too am double checking, on my ultra I have slack in the oil cable and the carbs open about 1/8 of an inch before the oil pump arm starts to move, is this the correct method for adjusting the pump.
First I want to get ride of the slack in the cable, by adjusting the two nuts at the end of the cable by the pump.
second I want to put presser on the throttle just a bit so that the carbs start to open at the same time as the oil pump arm starts to move, now the first hash mark on the pump and the arm will be lined up correct at idle.
then last but not lest I want to check the wide open throttle and make sure that the second hash mark on the pump arm lines up at wide open throttle or it goes past just a little bit.
Thanks!

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Originally posted by PolarisEdge
[br]Man... these sleds are incredible on oil.... I left mine set up the same as it came from the factory and in 600 miles I may have used 2-3 liters of oil. I wouldn't lean out an oil pump ever... oil is the life blood of your engine... Call me crazy but I'd rather change a sparkplug or 2 than crank bearings, rings, and pistons.
I agree 100% with this post. In fact I actually wil be running rich this season because I'm running pipes this year, just slightly, but still rich. I figure running up to 9400 RPM is stressful enough on a motor and not having enough oil is even more stressful on a motor.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Originally posted by Triple650Indy
[br]I agree 100% with this post. In fact I actually wil be running rich this season because I'm running pipes this year, just slightly, but still rich. I figure running up to 9400 RPM is stressful enough on a motor and not having enough oil is even more stressful on a motor.
Just remember more oil=leaner jetting....

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Originally posted by Sno-X-treme
[br]
[br]I agree 100% with this post. In fact I actually wil be running rich this season because I'm running pipes this year, just slightly, but still rich. I figure running up to 9400 RPM is stressful enough on a motor and not having enough oil is even more stressful on a motor.
Just remember more oil=leaner jetting....
Does this still apply with oil-injected sleds? I thought that was just pre-mix; as in the oil took up space gas normally would and lean it out. But on an oil-injected the same amount of fuel is passing through, but with the addition of oil.

Bryan

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Same amount of fuel but more oil so yes you are running leaner with the more oil you run. Normally at idle you are pumping at a 100:1 ratio.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Let me get this straight here. I'm running the same amount of fuel through the intake, and the same amount of air being taken in yet I'll be running leaner. Doesn't make sense. This doesn't sound right. Please explain further because I'm lost on this subject right now as it's been explained. Maybe the term leaner isn't the correct terminology here?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
[br]Let me get this straight here. I'm running the same amount of fuel through the intake, and the same amount of air being taken in yet I'll be running leaner. Doesn't make sense. This doesn't sound right. Please explain further because I'm lost on this subject right now as it's been explained. Maybe the term leaner isn't the correct terminology here?
That is exactly what I was thinking. I see same fuel, less air (volume being taken by small amount of oil) therefore slightly rich. Very slightly of course. If what you're saying is true, I guess I need to adjust my oil pump settings becuase I wanted to run a little richer on the oil side and set the scribe marks as such.

Bryan

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
I want a good explanantion before I dig into my sled to change this setting. I'm still confused as to where this lean condition comes from. The only thing I can see being argued is that the fuel is replaced by the oil in the mixture therefore less fuel makes it in the cylinder. However in a real world I just don't see this being very accurate. I'm going to wait for someone to comment.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts