Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of oil should I use for my 1994 Polaris Indy XLT...some people tell me mineral and some people tell me synthetic...any clue?

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Polaris blue blend.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
lol mineral is somewhat synthetic i beleive that or you can use amsoil which is both

·
Registered
855 Posts
I use Polaris Blue syn..

·
Registered
700 Posts
I run amsoil and it hardly smokes at all. Way less smoke than polaris oils for me anyways.
Ran two tanks of gas through the sled running polaris blue when new and then switched to amsoil. Pulled the head a week ago and it looked great.
No wear marks anywhere in the cylinder. 3500 miles or so on it and very happy.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Originally posted by Racing666
[br]i dont mean to hijack, but i have a similar question..what is a good brand low-smoke injection oil?

Originally posted by damn
If you want it to last a long time and not have to re-ring
so often use a good full synthetic, Amsoil,klotz,etc.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
If it were me Id use Polaris Premium Blend in it. In an engine that doesnt have exhaust valves you dont need synthetic oil.
I would not run a synthetic because of the cost. For the added cost of synthetic you would pretty much pay for a rebuild every 10,000 miles in the cost savings over running synthetic.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Originally posted by Octane
[br]If it were me Id use Polaris Premium Blend in it. In an engine that doesnt have exhaust valves you dont need synthetic oil.
I would not run a synthetic because of the cost. For the added cost of synthetic you would pretty much pay for a rebuild every 10,000 miles in the cost savings over running synthetic.
What good does that do you? With mineral oils and hard riding you'll rebuild it before 10,000 miles if you even ride that much to begin with.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Originally posted by Boss302man
[br]
[br]If it were me Id use Polaris Premium Blend in it. In an engine that doesnt have exhaust valves you dont need synthetic oil.
What good does that do you? With mineral oils and hard riding you'll rebuild it before 10,000 miles if you even ride that much to begin with.
Doubt it. I see engines easily go 10,000+ on mineral oil.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
[br]What good does that do you? With mineral oils and hard riding you'll rebuild it before 10,000 miles if you even ride that much to begin with.
Ive seen many Polaris engines last well over 10,000 miles on Polaris Blue oil. In fact, in many cases the cylinders still had the factory hone marks on them.
I know a few people on Totallyamaha.com that ran nothing but Yamalube 2-S (synthetic blend) in their SXs and SXrs and have over 15,000 miles on their motors.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
[br]
[br]What good does that do you? With mineral oils and hard riding you'll rebuild it before 10,000 miles if you even ride that much to begin with.
Ive seen many Polaris engines last well over 10,000 miles on Polaris Blue oil. In fact, in many cases the cylinders still had the factory hone marks on them.
I know a few people on Totallyamaha.com that ran nothing but Yamalube 2-S (synthetic blend) in their SXs and SXrs and have over 15,000 miles on their motors.
have you met them in person and seen these factory hone marks?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Being a drag racer (cars), I would think it has a LOT to do with the amount of dusty or dirty air its ingesting. race motors wear out alot quicker with out air filters than with.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Use anything but Ski-Doo oil. Not to rag on the Doo's, but whatever it is that goes into it, sure comes out the pipes horrible.

I see you are in Anchorage, look around for some Ipone, I have heard it is no-smoke and smells like raspberry's.

I use Amsoil Interceptor and like it very much. With a 50:50 mix of regular unleaded and Avgas, it has a nice race-fuel smell to it. My valves were very clean after 1850 miles.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Originally posted by nathanw24
[br]
[br]
I have met quite a few "engines" running the old polaris red oil and then switched over to the blue (1994). Which had 10,000+ miles on them. I used to work part time at a polaris dealership so I have seen my fair share of engines. Alot would come in at 10,000 miles for a rebuild and they really did not need it. SEals were they only thing that was wearing out. I know of a 1980 tx-l indy with 20,000 miles on it now. It has the head removed, the cylinders inspected and head put back on. Still is pumpiing 100 psi.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Originally posted by nathanw24
Let me put it this way. My family has owned nothing but Polaris sleds (with the exception of my '90 Phazer II) since the late '70s, so yes, Ive met them in person and have seen firsthand the factory hone marks.
Not trying to brag, but Ive worked on more sleds than most people on this forum have probably seen.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts