Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been looking for a triple to build a race sled. The more I have been doing some research Im thinking of just build a sleeper instead. In the next month in MI the swap meets will be starting and the prices of sled in MI on craigslist are really starting to fall. So, Im looking for an XCR800 trip to stick in my 00 XC 600 SP chasis. If i could get the entire 800 sled then I wouldnt be going this route but I see a few 800 motors around or the XCR being parted out. If I got just the motor what all would I need to drop that bad boy in?...

Different motor mounts?
Could I use my stock clutches? (I know I would have to reclutch)
Drive?
Chain and gears?
Would a 99 XCR 800 fit? Being from an agressive chasis.
Computer/brain?

Just would like to know some of this information to help me make my decision, also if I were to run across a motor I then could know what else I would need other than block and pipes.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
KRSS144 said:
So I have been looking for a triple to build a race sled. The more I have been doing some research Im thinking of just build a sleeper instead. In the next month in MI the swap meets will be starting and the prices of sled in MI on craigslist are really starting to fall. So, Im looking for an XCR800 trip to stick in my 00 XC 600 SP chasis. If i could get the entire 800 sled then I wouldnt be going this route but I see a few 800 motors around or the XCR being parted out. If I got just the motor what all would I need to drop that bad boy in?...

Different motor mounts?
Drive?
Chain and gears?
Computer/brain?

Just would like to know some of this information to help me make my decision, also if I were to run across a motor I then could know what else I would need other than block and pipes.
I've been researching the exact same project.

To get that motor in the edge chassis, you'll need the CDI from the 800, a custom motor plate, and you'll have to fudge the pipes a little bit.

Can use the stock secondary with reclutching. Chain and gears would work, but you might want to change the ratio.

Now, that being said, anyone with half an ear will hear the triple, but you'll still fool lots of no-nothings..

·
Registered
411 Posts
KRSS144 said:

Different motor mounts?
Drive?
Chain and gears?
Computer/brain?

You will need to fab up a motor plate for sure. Sometimes you get lucky and the pipes fit if you set the motor in right. I have built a few Edge/XCR's and I have stock pipes in mine.

If your interested, I have a very stout 800 Storm motor for sale. It was done up by HTG.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its not an edge...first year for the 600 with VES=GenII chasis.

20092894338328_19621.jpg

yellowstorm800...a storm motor done up by HTG, that is an option. PM me some pics if you have any. The XCR motors are hard to find.

Ugly_old_poo_kid-yeah I think I would grab a few peoples attention alright [thumb]

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
I like your thinking! I have an Ultra SPX (700 triple, same bottom end as 800 XCR, I believe) and a 2000 XC500 that I want to do the same thing to! That's been my biggest concern, getting the primary in correct alignment. I haven't been able to find any info on Aggressive to Gen2 chassis swaps. Do I have to get mounts from a Gen2 XCR? Thanks in advance to anyone who can help out!

·
Registered
6,044 Posts
There is a better way to do these motor swaps.
Swapping motor mounts is close, but not the right answer.
The way I've always seen motor swaps like this done is to take the motor plate and all that goes with the motor and mount that into your chassis.

Also, take the entire wiring harness from the donor sled that the motoe came out of.

These 2 things will make your entire project go MUCH better.

Lastly, I like the Ultra motors better than the XCRs.
Take a good Ultra motor and do the 800cc big bore kit from HTG and run PSI Mod Blaster pipes.
This set up, once alligned, clutched, and jetted properly will absolutely scream.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thanks for the advice SD! I didn't see on PSI's site where they have Gen2 pipes, are they still available new? Or do you have a used set kicking around? ;)

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I was thinking about this one for my Edge roller.....But I need to sell some iron

http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=489146

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I have a SLP piped 680 ultra motor in my 01 xcsp 500. Its a sleeper till i start it and it gives itself away.
201052115341261_20985.jpg

201034162020122_20985.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
They state that because going from a single pipe to triple's will un-cripple any triple...

This is why triples aren't used in sleds anymore.. It's easier and cheaper to do a single pipe than triples, and a twin will run just fine on a single while a triple won't.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
i believe slp made 2 different sets
a low and a hi rpm range pipe. both were around same hp number but one was trail and one was race application.
yes aftermarketpipes wake just about any sled up, but none so much as the ultra. that sled was seriously undertuned from the factory.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
but anyhow
indyrxl-sweet lookin ride, looks like a ton of fun, and a relatively painless swap??
the pipes seem to fit nicely!
was looking for something to do with my ultra 800 big bore motor as my chassis pretty ruff.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts