Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK from the other two posts this morning I have learned a few new things.

1. Not all of my shocks on my 98 XC700 are rebuildable.
2. I can order shocks for my weight and set up.
3. I learned I really am a dumb ass when it comes to this stuff.

So here it is......My 98 rode like crap. I never ever got any weight transfer as the sled could never pull the skis, even on good hard packed and 144 studs in the track (older studs, going to replace many of them) So Im guessing the rear shocks have been toast. I just got the sled last year. I weigh 285lbs and it already has the big boy springs in it.

I would like to order a quality shock, that is set up for my weight. I would also like to get the fronts rebuilt if possible. But I would like to help out fellow members, so if anyone is a dealer for any of the stuff I need please respond. Im not looking to spend a mint, but I will by quality parts. I doubt I will have the sled next year but would still like to enjoy the ride this year.

Last year the seat acted like the only dampening I had. I would ride hard and friends behind me would tell me my ass never stayed in the seat, always was up and down.

Im going to drop the skid and go through everything, clean it up, grease it, look for anything binding. Going to replace a bunch of studs to help in the hook. Also replace the shocks that need to ane rebuild.....any suggestions wouuld be great.

·
Registered
404 Posts
This is just something to consider before you start replacing shocks. Your 98 XC700 has the XTRA-10 rear suspension in it, which is a coupled suspension. Coupled suspensions are designed to improve ride by borrowing spring tension from the front arm and applying it to the rear arm when needed to prevent bottoming. It is also designed to prevent kickback by lifting the rear of the skid when the front arm moves up. A side effect of this is that weight transfer is limited compared to an uncoupled suspension. The RRSS (rear, rear scissor stop; which is a semi-rectangular plastic block) in the rear suspension is there to control weight transfer. By rotating the block you are able to control how far the suspension will go before the spring pressure is borrowed and the front end stops lifting. If you feel that the low setting doesn't lift enough, remove the block completely, and it will really lift the skis, but it will probably handle different. Also, that suspension was proabably set up pretty stiff from the factory for that sled. Getting some FOX shocks for it and getting them revalved a bit softer may be the way to go. If anyone notices something I am wrong about above, be sure to call me on it, that is just what I had heard.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
i thought all the xc's with xtra10 came with rebuildable fox shocks. if you don't have them all the way around, i'd say you can get the one's you need used and then get them rebuilt. should be able to do that all pretty cheap. do you know specifically what shocks you have in the front and rear positions?

when you have shocks rebuilt you can have them valved differently to work harder for you.

i think the first thing is to tell us what shocks you have all the way around the sled. then look for some used ones to get you set up right.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
He has a 98 xc 700. They came with foxes up front and rydefx in the rear.

The rears are not rebuildable. I would look for a set of foxes from ebay.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Originally posted by xcr440
[br]He has a 98 xc 700. They came with foxes up front and rydefx in the rear.

The rears are not rebuildable. I would look for a set of foxes from ebay.
yeah, looked that up after i said it. my bad.

should be able to find a pair of foxes from some other xtra10 sled though. like xcr440 was saying ebay is a good place to look.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I will get a part number for you from my '98 service manual.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Go with Fox in the rear!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts