Snowmobile Fanatics banner

Ok poll time - Chatterbox anyone?

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Exjake 
#1 ·
So?? Does anyone else out there use a comm system when riding? My brother and I often have lots of guest ride with us (up to 7 sleds total) and we installed the HJC - Chatterbox FRS.

It's great to be able to make direction decisions without having to stop and also to know if one of the older sleds got stuck or something.

Any other comments?

-------------------------------------------

Lest we forget...... 09/11/01

See less See more
#2 ·
we have often thought about a com link between a few sleds in the group that rides with us, last year, we only had about4-5 guys with us, but this year we have had quite a response to people wanting to ride, so i think a few of us are gonna look into it, soinds like a good idea to me cause you never know what can happen while riding(sledn is so unpredictable)especially like you said, older un-maintained sleds, its hard for the guy up front goin hell bent up the trail to know whats up behind them

#3 ·
<nod> A couple things to watch for though. If you're piped then some times even in the full face it may be hard to hear the other rider. I'm going to try wiring in better speakers from a Diskman I recently purchased. Gotta stay with PTT instead of the VOX since all you hear is heavy breathing <chuckle>.

Also next time, if I were to purchase, I'd go with the multi-channle version. Our FRSs only have two channels and it can get busy. Other models have up to 28 sub channels to help that out but they are more expensive.

Just thought I'd mention that in case anyone is serious about trying them.

-------------------------------------------

Lest we forget...... 09/11/01

#5 ·
I dunno, It is usually only me and my 2 freinds that ride. We usually go as fast as we can until we lose each other, then we search. A Super Sport 440 just can't keep up to an XC 600 and an XLT. I am thinking of getting a set though.

The more I talk about snowmobiles, the more HYPER I get! I want to RIDE!! Man, I can't wait. I might get a 700 or 800 VES twin from Polaris for a good price
and tear out the ole' 440 out of the xcf, turn it into liquid cooled, then I will have a machine to keep up to my friends new Edge X 600! HAHAHA......snow................PLEAASSEE!

#6 ·
ERICK we ride the same way, wide open, and wait for the slowpokes, and i agree, i want snow so bad i can taste it, dont know how much longer ill be able to wait

X.L.T=XTRA LONG THROTTLE

Edited by - xltman on October 14 2001 9:47:34 PM

#7 ·
I haven't ever even entertained the thought of having one of those. When I'm riding, I listen to my machine, not for voices.

Stopping to talk is always nice too, driving wide open all day sucks. Need to socialize.

"Might Be Crazy But I Ain't Dumb" - Cooter

#8 ·
I have a set of Motorola Two-Ways. For $20 a piece, I added the ear piece booms to them, which you can wear under your helmet easily. I haven't tried to use them while riding yet, but I'm guessing it will be hard to hear anything if you're cranking along. What I think they will be usefull for is when you come to the fork in the trail, and you want to ask which way to go without having to take off your helmets to hear eachother.

88 Saffari 377
89 Saffari Saga 377
95 XLT Special

#9 ·
We have talked about it on several occasions. It would be nice at times to tell the lead sled Hey stop (to eat,fuel,pee,wrong turn) for something. As right now we are watching the man behind when he stops you stop and so on can take a while to stop the leader.
On the flip side I love to snowmobile to get away. I love to be alone in my bubble just me yelling, hooting, laughing, and the sound of my 600. No one to interfear with my moment. Do you know what I mean? Money is not the problem it is my freedom that is infringed on I think.
Yes if my wife and I are going out for a leisure ride the head sets are great (which will never happen).

"Meaningless Ride"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.