Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the snow show and got some free coupons from a local dealer for free ski doo xps mineral oil. We went and got two free gallons of it and im wondering if its ok to run in my xc500? Ive heard mixed reviews on it. Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I would say run it, but that's entirely up to you. Maybe you could sell it then buy the oil you really want.

·
Registered
718 Posts
free oil, could run it. won't hurt your engine. some ppl around here use 10w-40 in theirs.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
shady800x said:
free oil, could run it. won't hurt your engine. some ppl around here use 10w-40 in theirs.
I'd sure hope they don't run 10-40 in their sleds :p
it's free oil, I'd run it. If you don't have powervalves then I'd run good quality mineral oil to start with, as I only run syn blends for the fact that it keeps my
power valves clean.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
PolarisIndySKS said:
I asked because I'm not sure if its fully synthetic. Im pretty sure its not..
The term "mineral oil" specifically implies that it is not synthetic at all.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
shady800x said:
Free oil... I thought the same thing. My father-in-law owned a Ski-Doo dealer ship and he had a couple casees of Blizzard (Hule) two cycle injection oil. I do check my plugs while out riding, so to make a long story short, my plugs were text book while running Polaris Blue,I almost found out the hard way that freee oil isn't what it's cracked up to be. Almost smoked two cylinders, sucked out the Doo oil and went back to Poo. That was to close.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Then i probably wont be running it. No big deal as it was free. I have the powervalve 500 so ill just run the other 4 gallons of ves gold oil we have! Thanks!

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
ultrawillie said:
shady800x said:
Free oil... I thought the same thing. My father-in-law owned a Ski-Doo dealer ship and he had a couple casees of Blizzard (Hule) two cycle injection oil. I do check my plugs while out riding, so to make a long story short, my plugs were text book while running Polaris Blue,I almost found out the hard way that freee oil isn't what it's cracked up to be. Almost smoked two cylinders, sucked out the Doo oil and went back to Poo. That was to close.
Lesson # 1 - When you change oil types adjust the oil pump. [thumb]

This probably explains 90% of oil related brand bashing.. People just change the oil brand and expect that the new oil properties are the same as the old. Then they go online and bash the brand of oil that they put in when the engine blows, yet there was nothing wrong with the oil, they just didn't know it needed changing.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
ultrawillie said:
shady800x said:
Lesson # 1 - When you change oil types adjust the oil pump. [thumb]

This probably explains 90% of oil related brand bashing.. People just change the oil brand and expect that the new oil properties are the same as the old. Then they go online and bash the brand of oil that they put in when the engine blows, yet there was nothing wrong with the oil, they just didn't know it needed changing.
I do have my oil pump advanced (maybe not enough)I talked with D Karpik (team fast)that day and all we could come up with was that the oil lines weren't big enough, and maybe the pump. I always advance my oil pump any time I start adding HP. The other thing was that the Doo oil did seem to run out off the jug a bit slower the the Poo blue. (that's where we came up with the oil pump and lines theroy). Otherwise you are absolutly right!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Empire087 said:
shady800x said:
I'd sure hope they don't run 10-40 in their sleds :p
it's free oil, I'd run it. If you don't have powervalves then I'd run good quality mineral oil to start with, as I only run syn blends for the fact that it keeps my
power valves clean.
yes i've seen some ppl pour in 10w-40 in their oil injectors. warned them that their engine would blow. they still put that stuff in nevertheless. well you could sell that oil and buy more polaris oil =D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts