Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 88 stratos with the 503, it is developing a exhaust leak someplace around the header, it isn't too bad but my question is on a 2 stroke or this engine would this be something i "need" to fix now or can I leave it till spring? I can't tell for sure where it is comming from but most likly it is coming from one side header gasket, or posibly the header itself. will this cause the engine to run lean on one cyl or have no effect? with the engine running the fan blows air so I can't feel any leak, but I do hear it on idle but can't pinpoint it at all

·
Registered
78 Posts
It would be best to fix it. A 2 stroke relies on proper exhaust flow to operate properly. Short distances you can get by with but
if your going to really go ride it should be fixed before it causes more damage.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats what i assumed, I now the stratos is known for burning cyl's by going lean or running hot, I just hate to pull it apart since where I am at the snow is very unpredictable, here today gone tommorow!!!! I will probalby just order a gasket set and pull the manifold off and hope that was it.
also have one more question, on this sled I now it's old, but when you are riding slowly, under 20mph you can feel some drag, like a womp, womp, womp, not sure if it is a badspot in the belt or track. also since snow here is few and far between, this sled gets ridden maybe 20-40 minutes at a time, and so far this year I had it out 2 times, my first guess is maybe some rust on the track, any ideas?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Definitely check the belt as it can do that. Also check the bearings on the drive shaft and the jack shaft. If
one of them is getting worn it could cause the track to not move correctly. Check the slides and the track tension.
If you have a stand so you can run it with the track off the ground also check the tracks alignment. Just some places to start.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
fix your exhaust now, if it is a gasket it is like a 10 min. fix

not can melt down, run like crap or get worse. small problems turn into big ones

1 - 5 of 5 Posts