Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a 440 olympic from a coworker and today i went to pick it up and we were trying to get it started and I was stumped on a few things however I am not to familiar with two cyl engines maybe some of you can help.
First it was visable there was no fuel running through the lines so we satrted inspecting them for clogs but there was none. Next up I was looking for a clogged fuel filter but there is no fuel filter at all. So the setup on this sled is a line running from the engine pushing air to a small aluminum box which must create vaccum as one line from tank went to it and one line off to carb. Well we opened the box and there was no visable build up in the passages. So we went on to try using a compressor line to push air through the line that the engine hooks up to but nothing happened. My last guess would something blocked in the carb creating this hole vac/venturi system not to operate. Me hooked up air to the fuel line running to the carb as well and we saw slight fuel that was already in the carb mist out from both intake side and where the throttle cable hooks up (but was removed) so this made me unsure of a block in the carb. Any thoughts?
Next up was the plugs we pulled them they looked ok the gap was off so we set them from .030 to the correct .020 and we tested them by tring to ground out the threads and turning the motor over but no spark. I am guessing whatever drives the plugs some sort of coil setup l ike a car is shot maybe?
He said it was running about a year ago and the engine was removed for another project but than put back in?
Well any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
John

·
Registered
197 Posts
you can wrap a rag around your air hose and seal it against the gas tank filler to pressurize the tank...this forces fuel throu the fuel pump (usualy underneath the airbox) the vacum line to the fuel pump CANNOT be presurized! it needs an alternate blow/suck (yes you can use your mouth on the end of the hose) of manifold pressure.
use new plugs...its not worth the frustration old ones cause...
drain the carb float bowls(on bottom of carb) clean the carb if neccesary
make sure you have some fresh gas

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info well finally towed the old beast home and correction I have a 76 440. Well going through everything it seems the switch is shot I pulled the main harness and she fired up with a little starting fluid to help.

Now I have another problem. She seems to start and idle fine however when I hit the gas sitting on it all she did was rev she moved an inch and no more but was still running. I took my weight off and she moved a little better but still slugish I was getting alot of white smoke from the exhaust however when I was trying to move the sled and i closed teh hood it also seemed the smoke was coming from teh track I wasnt sure if the exhuast smoke was coming through to the back or whatever transfers power to the track was slipping,? Also note that the previous owner had the engine out so maybe whatever connects the engine to whatever type of drive train system it has maybe hooked up wrong causing slippage? Any thoughts?
Thanks again,
John

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
check the belt and clutches for that when she wont move much under weight its more then likley a bad belt of dirty clutches so i would inspect those and replace and worn parts and give a good thourough cleaning to both clutches

·
Registered
443 Posts
If your not getting any spark then u need to rebuilt your points in the engine...and if your not getting any fuel then u might need to rebuilt your carb....Thats what i had to do to my old 1972 ski doo tnt 340

·
Registered
623 Posts
i'd check everything first check spark in wires, and compression, if all thats good, get some new plugs, spray some either in the holes and try to fire it if not that than must not be getting gas and could be some more reasons

1 - 6 of 6 Posts