Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright.....i know a guy and he claims that riding a old sled doesnt really hurt it if there is barely any snow...or sometimes almost no snow at all......just as long as you are able to keep the engine at a normal temp. Ive seen the guy like a 1977 polaris ???? with barely any snow. I was thinking when i saw him that it wasnt the best thing for the sled. But he claims the only thing it hurts are the skis. I was just wondering if its bad for the sled in any other form than the skis. Cause if i remember right. there isnt a hyfax on the older sleds so that wont burn up. So is it bad for it???

ARTIC CAT....my way to play

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Well I certainly wouldn't go as far as saying that its good for it. Most of the older sleds have a boggie wheel suspension (your right, no hyfax to worry about). But yeah, you can carefully drive them on limited or no snow surfaces for without any harm, except to the skis.

I mean I wouldn't take one down a 4-wheeler trail in the summer or anything, but a little dirt and grass now and then shouldn't be too much trouble for it. Just be carefull of those rocks!

P.S. I wouldn't think of doing it with a liquid cooled sled though, only fan cooled.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Polaris had a slide suspensions in 77, Doo used boogers longer than anyone.
Let see.......77........an Electra or Colt I am guessing, great old sleds, but way to heavy, and breaks trail like my sons tricycle....that is not at all.
My dad hunts up north and uses sleds to get into the bush and he has an Electra and a 74 Panther, but the Panther goes in front to break trail or that Electra is going nowhere.

When hell freezes over, we'll ride there too.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yah now that you say that....its a colt...i dont really like how it rides....to tippy for me....plus you cant really do any nice jumping without breaking ur ***....tailbone i mean...haha

ARTIC CAT....my way to play

1 - 5 of 5 Posts