Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a discussion with some sledders at work the other night. They were jokingly picking on me about the fact I ride an "old relic." They all ride machines made within the last couple years. And they still owe thousands on them. They just can't understand that I am very happy with my old Indy. I got it for free, and have stuck less than $400 into it. It is older, but it still has a decent suspension and quick enough engine for my style of riding. And it is solid reliable. I refuse to pay $8000+ for something I can't ride but a few times a year. The winters around here are just not consistent enough for me to make such an investment.

So you guys with your new machines and big egos, go ahead, laugh when I ride by, or when you pass me on the lake. I am still having a blast, and I have much less invested.

With all that said, this was intended as one mans opinion, and I am not directing it at any of you specifically. Just the guys that think they are better because they ride some bug-eyed looking rider forward machine. The wedge looks better anyhow. [:D]

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Ok then. What is the point of this topic? Do you want us to argue something or get all heated up in another stupid debate over new and old.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
In the words of Steve Martin...

WELL EXCUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSE MEEEEEEEEE!!!!!! lol

I have a '05 and mine feels old sometimes. As long as you enjoy yours, who cares. You are right in one respect that some guys have big sleds for ego, but there are more riders with the new sleds because they love riding so much, they want the best...and it is easy to spot who they are.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by xtralettucetomatoe580
[br]Ok then. What is the point of this topic? Do you want us to argue something or get all heated up in another stupid debate over new and old.
I don't want you to do anything. Hell, you didn't even need to read this post. My post was basically me saying why I like my old machine. And I only bring that up because of the discussion I had at work. Also, you took it much to seriously. The post was made in a light hearted manner. Perhaps I didn't make it clear enough. If you want to argue about it, or get heated up, go ahead, I don't care one way or the other. [:)]

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Originally posted by Lurch77
[br]
Originally posted by xtralettucetomatoe580
[br]Ok then. What is the point of this topic? Do you want us to argue something or get all heated up in another stupid debate over new and old.
I don't want you to do anything. Hell, you didn't even need to read this post. My post was basically me saying why I like my old machine. And I only bring that up because of the discussion I had at work. Also, you took it much to seriously. The post was made in a light hearted manner. Perhaps I didn't make it clear enough. If you want to argue about it, or get heated up, go ahead, I don't care one way or the other. [:)]
Ha not really into keyboard fights. Suppose I came off a little harsh I just got done reading some pretty lame posts and was feeling a little upset. Nothing wrong with having fun on your sled whether your an 08 test rider on that new Doo or your riding a Colt. I guess my problem was these topics usually end up with someone getting mad over nothing. Sorry for being a prick.[;)] Hope ya get some snow.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good. Because I am well beyond keyboard fights too. And I know what you mean about the stupid posts around here. Way too many people acting like they are 5 years old.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I have as much fun riding my 87' Exciter as I do my 01' Thundercat. To each his own what he wants to ride.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Sometimes I have more fun ripping around on my 530 by myself. Damn thats things a blast, and to think your riding something from 1973 is a totally different feeling than having that nice independent front suspension and 10 inches of rear travel. It makes you really appreciate your newer machines.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
I personally have no issue with anything anyone rides. Some guys come riding with us on '73 Kawasaki's and late 70's el tigre's, so on and so forth. They all have just as much fun as what I have on my Fusion. They can't do some of the big jumps and whatnot but that doesn't mean they aren't having fun.

However, you don't want or can't get a new one... So? Why are you insulting the guys that do?

For the record I have a new one because I ride a lot... My Fusion had 0 miles on it in November last year and has around 2800 on it now. When I'm around 8000 miles after 3 years, it's time for a different one.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Some people are just into different things. The guy that chose to spend his money on a new sled might not have a boat or a motorcyle payment and the investment is justified regardless of snowfall.

Id have new sled every couple years if I wasnt into the atv and motorcyle thing too. For the next couple years anyways, my old xc's are good enough for me.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Well I watched Slednecks #2 the other night... wow what a great flick, lots of old steel.

I think if I lived on or near lakes, and flatlands, it really wouldn't matter what I rode..
my XCR would rip on some of those flat lakes...
In fact it doesn't matter up here in the mountains what I rode, but hey I had the cash
and paid for my new sled outright. So I got it.

But I understand where you're coming from, I still can't understand people up here
who buy a new sled every year, and take a bath on the old ones trade in.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by Polaris-Man However, you don't want or can't get a new one... So? Why are you insulting the guys that do?
I'm not insulting the guys that want or have a new sled. I am insulting the guys that have a new sled and think they are better because of it. I guess you missed that last paragraph in my first post.

I go through the same thing in the summer with my motorcycle. I ride a Harley Sportster 1200 (with a few tweaks). And on occasion I run into some big twin guy that thinks he is so much better than me, just because I ride what he calls a "beginner" Harley. But so long as I don't run into Zrxpilot and his V-Rod, I just let them look at my tail light. [:D]

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Originally posted by Lurch77
[br]
I'm not insulting the guys that want or have a new sled. I am insulting the guys that have a new sled and think they are better because of it. I guess you missed that last paragraph in my first post.
Ah yes. Didn't catch that the first time over. I'll agree with you on that one.

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
Originally posted by fredly00
[br]Well I watched Slednecks #2 the other night... wow what a great flick, lots of old steel.
I have yet to see a movie by anyone with a kick a$$ ZRT in it [:(] Them losers! [:D]

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
man i know what you mean! i love my 98 700, and i have friends all the time bagging on my sled...

i'v rode there sleds, but i only paid 800, and that paid 8,000.. makes a bit of difference.

not to mention i'v ALWAYS wanted a 98 xc 700, makes me REALLY like it!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
The only thing that is important it you like your ride, it does what you want, and gets you where you want to go.

As long as the sledders at your work are gently teasing you, it's fine. If they start to get serious, have a chat with them and tell them what you just told us.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Anybody that rips on someone else's sled, or bike, or whatever, be it because it's old, it's new, or whatever their issue...it's usually because THEY have issues, low self-esteem usually, that they feel the need to rip on someone else about anything to try to make themselves feel better. And the funny thing is, it never really makes them feel better, cuz their issues are still there, underneath, no matter how much they bitch or rip on anyone else.

I say, more power to anyone for whatever they like, whatever they have, for whatever reasons they like and have it. I was happy with my older sled, now I'm happy with my newer sled. Be happy, let others be happy, life is short. What did Dylan say - "Be kind, everyone you'll ever meet is waging a hard battle."

1 - 20 of 64 Posts