Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[:D]
its kinda neat to go to races or club rides, even the northland 300. listen to all the old storys of what the sleds and things they did.

i like one where at a race a team had a small mod sled. they were running it on the warm up stand when the throttle stuck, some how it then fell off the stand and shot across the pits. luckily a trailer stopped it and no one got hurt, but maybe a few undies got wrecked.lol

or how a guy who had a little shop started making 1000 cc open mod sleds, man that was crazy, people wonderd how they could clutch the power or get it to hook up. the speeds it could do. today an improved stock 800 would blow its doors off.

my nieghbor had an old sled in the 70's it was new than, it had a tach on it, so he decided it needed more power. since there wasnt the market there was today he played it himself. he moved the pipe closer and further from the engine a little at a time, than run it and see what changed. also sealed in a plate in the crank case to make the volume less. made more compression and ran a lot different. than decided to see what would happen if he took a little off the intake side of the piston skirt and raise the exhaust port. with high octane fuel, that they could just buy down town. he gained a pile of power but than had a reliabilty issue, but when it went he said it went.
on the northland 300 met a guy who used to race john deere sleds, at one race he beat the factory team so they paid for his hotel room and took him out to dinner if he would give some tips.
kinda interesting.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
My dad got the Indy 650 Long Track the first year it came out, he said it the fastest stock sled, he could get a little over 100 MPH out of it, no my 600 would blow the doors off it, he can't believe the increase in speed from then to now.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts