Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HOw does riding old vintages sled compare to New modern day sleds. I have heard the older one were sometime more fun

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
They are all fun, imo. My buddy has a couple 69 bubble-noses, we out boondocking on those and I have more fun driving those then anything. Being a cheap bastard, I just like the fact that mine was paid for 10 years ago.

·
Registered
546 Posts
They are fun cuz you can do whatever on them and it just seems like that if something happened to them there isnt really anything to be worried about as "it is just an old sled". I know I think this when I ride the old ones at my cabin. And then you need to actually think about what you are doing on the new ones so you don't break them.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I personally like the sleds from the late 90's era. But I have owned a few old sleds, they are DEFFINITLY fun, you can beat them like crazy and they always seem to keep going! [:D] or if they break its not a big deal cause you can just rig them up and then go beat it again, LOL. Although the old sleds are just not capable of the stuff the new sleds can do, especially the new moutain sleds.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
I think a vintage ride (late 60's early 70's sleds) with a large group of people would be just as much fun as a ride today with newer sleds..

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
I'd rather ride something newer right now for how rough it gets here. But I won't mind owning one for my boys to learn to ride on as I did.

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Old sleds are fun riding in fields. But they kill ya on rough trails. And constantly fixing them is sometimes a pain too.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Vintage sleds are fun because once you hit 30mph or above the sled starts to shake lol . I rode over a hay wagon tire tracks in the winter on a citation and it had no suspension and i went flying because it bounced mee off the back. They are fun little machines and the seats are hard as rocks lol. Its amazing how much snowmobiling has become.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
When you ride a vintage sled it feels like your going much faster than you actually are if you were on a new sled. They are a lot of fun, as fun as a new sled.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
personally, i like the older sleds for climbing hills and going through bushes. and the new sleds i like for cruising, having a good time on. but definatly they are all fun

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Vintage would be fun to screw around on from time to time. However as a main sled, newer is way better.

When my '77 jag still ran I would use that to go check muskrat traps instead of runnin' the ZR. Worked out pretty nice and it saved on my "good" sled.

·
Registered
112 Posts
the old sleds are lmost bullet proof my friend just got a new sled and the fly wheel blew off and wrecked everything around it while my only prblem on my sled was torn up wires when the belt fleww of

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Theres nothin like cruisin out into a feild and just leaning over still sitting and doing a nice carve, and when you get stuck all you do is lift then back to the snow beside it and maybe stomp some snow infrony if its really bad tehn off you go. Plus you can drive across a feild an pull the skiis out of the snow anytime you want.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Originally posted by ultrastud
[br]I think a vintage ride (late 60's early 70's sleds) with a large group of people would be just as much fun as a ride today with newer sleds..
I'm in for this one too. You know how long it would take to do 20 miles with all the breakdowns? Man it'd be fun to be wrenching on the sides of the trails. Like a "Pit row" the whole trail length.

Bryan

·
Registered
433 Posts
I personnally love the oldies. Practically bulletproof once you get em running.

You also get the thrill of speed at much lower speeds, which is good because you get the problems from bumps much sooner too.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Originally posted by Formula_III
[br]They are fun cuz you can do whatever on them and it just seems like that if something happened to them there isnt really anything to be worried about as "it is just an old sled". I know I think this when I ride the old ones at my cabin. And then you need to actually think about what you are doing on the new ones so you don't break them.
Yea i agree with this, im always worryed if im gonna break somethinkin, hade an old citations beat the hell out it and went forever till finaly one day, my little brothers got a 96 tundta 2 Lt same thing with that can beat it pretty hard n it takes it.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Originally posted by ibreakstuff
[br]
Originally posted by ultrastud
[br]I think a vintage ride (late 60's early 70's sleds) with a large group of people would be just as much fun as a ride today with newer sleds..
I'm in for this one too. You know how long it would take to do 20 miles with all the breakdowns? Man it'd be fun to be wrenching on the sides of the trails. Like a "Pit row" the whole trail length.

Bryan
Yeah but thats a good excuse for a beer break!! LOL

·
Registered
149 Posts
When I hear a newbie or younger guy complain about the new sleds I think wow if only they could ride something from the 70's for a week with 2-3" of travel on a rough trail.... He he....

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Originally posted by Vmax540
[br]When I hear a newbie or younger guy complain about the new sleds I think wow if only they could ride something from the 70's for a week with 2-3" of travel on a rough trail.... He he....
Send em out for a day long ride on an Elan. If they come back for more they are a true fanatic.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thats why I love the olds sleds yah there a pain always breaking down , but there still fun and its true what they say you feal like you going alot faster than you actualy are.. There awsome

1 - 20 of 21 Posts