Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most people on here might know my Stickerfied Indy, what i call the Night-rider. Sometime soon i am going to be redoing the entire sled top to bottom and back to front, and properly. I mean a serious re-do. I'll list the things i'm looking to do, and anyone can chime in with what they think. It's a old sled, a 1986 fanner, but i plan on changing that. I'm looking for ideas, facts, and opinions. Thanks.

First
20081021125248233_23167.jpg 2008121124826437_23167.jpg

Now
200943012499453_23167.jpg 20091061039593_23167.jpg

LIST:
Motor- something much bigger than the 488. Possibly a liquid, but how much work is it to convert it? If i keep it a fanner, than a new 550, as new as possible. Do as much work to that as possible. This is of course the most important part, so its gotta be done one way or the other.

Plastic- Sand, prime, and paint. I'm not sure about coloring, but i'm gonna be putting some neat design on it, now that i have a full auto paint set. Low cut windshield.

Suspension- Thinking 136", nice track. Not sure about Shocks, probably Fox rebuild-ables. Updated trailing arms. Plastic skis.

Tunnel/frame- Reinforce as much as possible, I.E. racing braces etc.

Seat- some sort of shorty seat, sits nice and high.

Steering- Bars, large riser, hooks, etc.

Why am i doing this to a severely outdated chassis that has nearly no potential? Because they are simple to work on, parts are readily available, and this sled has a lot of memories to me and my buddies- as my friend said, "It deserves it".

PS- Stormy, something tells me we will be conversing alot.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Cant wait

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
KRSS144 said:
Cant wait
Is somebody being sarcastic? Or am i just reacting to strongly to the criticism i'm waiting for?

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
motodeficient said:
Thats an ambitious, neat project, but is it really worth the time and money on such an outdated platform?
See the last paragraph of the first post.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Motor wise, I would put in the old 600 triple or a 650. The 600 originally came in them chassis so a 650 would drop right in with stock pipes and have gobs more power than that fanner. That is where I would start on the project.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yellowstorm800 said:
Motor wise, I would put in the old 600 triple or a 650. The 600 originally came in them chassis so a 650 would drop right in with stock pipes and have gobs more power than that fanner. That is where I would start on the project.
That's what i was thinking, only big thing is running the coolant lines under the track. Any comments about how to adress that?

EDIT- what engines can be made to fit into this chassis? I might come across some Polaris 800. Would it work?

·
Registered
411 Posts
You can make anything work but I think going with a 650 with a set of triple pipes would be the way to go. I have an 86 Indy 600 that was very fast. Them sleds are sooo light.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yellowstorm800 said:
You can make anything work but I think going with a 650 with a set of triple pipes would be the way to go. I have an 86 Indy 600 that was very fast. Them sleds are sooo light.
Yeah, that's one of my favorite things about them, is the weight. With this stuffed under the hood, the power to weight ratio will be great.
I will begin the search for indy 650's!

EDIT- Any specific years?

·
Registered
918 Posts
tdgbigfoot said:
yellowstorm800 said:
That's what i was thinking, only big thing is running the coolant lines under the track. Any comments about how to adress that?

EDIT- what engines can be made to fit into this chassis? I might come across some Polaris 800. Would it work?
Coolant wont be to hard. Just get ahold of some hear exchangers and rivet them under the tunnel or under the running boards. them plumb them with stainless line. I think that just looks bad a55

·
Registered
411 Posts
tdgbigfoot said:
yellowstorm800 said:
Yeah, that's one of my favorite things about them, is the weight. With this stuffed under the hood, the power to weight ratio will be great.

Well, the RXL motors made more power due to bigger ports in the cylinders. I have a complete motor for sale if your interested. I also have a set of triple Aaen trail pipes for it.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yellowstorm800 said:
tdgbigfoot said:
yellowstorm800 said:

Well, the RXL motors made more power due to bigger ports in the cylinders. I have a complete motor for sale if your interested. I also have a set of triple Aaen trail pipes for it.
I would be except shipping would be a nightmare, and i dont have cash, i really trade for stuff. Emailed a few people with 650's, see what i can do.
Any other ideas? Did the wedge 700 or wedge 650 make more HP? Would the 700 be a bad route?

·
Registered
411 Posts
I think it all depends on how you drive. Me personally like the triples better because I do more lake riding. The twin will have more low end torque but the 650 will make more up top. I also think that the 650 would be an easier transplant. My .02 cents.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
tdgbigfoot said:
KRSS144 said:
Cant wait
Is somebody being sarcastic? Or am i just reacting to strongly to the criticism i'm waiting for?
I was being serious...that would be a fun project. Build it the way you want it or "should have been built". I agree with above, have to have a tripple in it.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yellowstorm800 said:
I think it all depends on how you drive. Me personally like the triples better because I do more lake riding. The twin will have more low end torque but the 650 will make more up top. I also think that the 650 would be an easier transplant. My .02 cents.
Ok. I'm definitely more of a low end torque, but whatever works out. There is also the 700 Ultra triple, right?

KRSS144 said:
tdgbigfoot said:
KRSS144 said:
Cant wait
I was being serious...that would be a fun project. Build it the way you want it or "should have been built". I agree with above, have to have a tripple in it.
Yeah, thats what i'm hoping to do- make my first sled how i always wanted it to be.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Hey i have an idea for that sled.... Handlebar hooks hehe[:D][amazon]

anything you need let me know, info, advice or parts. there isent a thing on my sled that i havent taken off at one point or another.

It will be sweet when its all done, or it will turn into somthing like mine... a never ending project/moneypit. either way its fun[thumb]

·
Registered
411 Posts
The Ultra motor is a great motor but it's definatly going to cost more and be more work. A 600/650 should just about be a drop in deal. When set up right they will tear your arms off.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Okay so I do realise you said there were reasons you wanted to do it to this sled, But why not just buy a storm 800/650/etc... in good condition for like $750 and then do the work to that? I would think that would be cheaper.. Plus it's still going to be the wedge chassis.

Kinda sad to see that sled loose all its stickers.

yellowstorm800 said:
The Ultra motor is a great motor but it's definatly going to cost more and be more work. A 600/650 should just about be a drop in deal. When set up right they will tear your arms off.
True, mine woulda been sick if it had a half descent track.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
wakeboarderboy said:
Okay so I do realise you said there were reasons you wanted to do it to this sled, But why not just buy a storm 800/650/etc... in good condition for like $750 and then do the work to that? I would think that would be cheaper.. Plus it's still going to be the wedge chassis.

Kinda sad to see that sled loose all its stickers.

yellowstorm800 said:
True, mine woulda been sick if it had a half descent track.
I have no reason to buy another snowmobile, i don't have money for that. Besides that, my sled has a lot of history behind it. Moreover, I would like to learn more about snowmobiles and i would enjoy doing it this way.

skidoo600racer said:
I think that the 1998 xcr 440 graphics would look cool if your redoing the paint and graphics.
I'm thinking something special to me and my friends actually, possibly something with all our names on it. But ill keep the 440 graphics in mind!

yellowstorm800 said:
650 it is. I found a bunch of them also, so it should work out good! thank you for your help!

sTOrMy96 said:
Hey i have an idea for that sled.... Handlebar hooks hehe[:D][amazon]

anything you need let me know, info, advice or parts. there isent a thing on my sled that i havent taken off at one point or another.

It will be sweet when its all done, or it will turn into somthing like mine... a never ending project/moneypit. either way its fun[thumb]
When i get around to tearing this thing apart, i will be bugging you.
Hmmm, good point about the hooks![thumb] I'll send you a PM

1 - 20 of 89 Posts