Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm in the market for a longtrack sled. Mainly just to ride around in the western foothills of albeta.(Rocky, Caroline) I've found a few all around the same price range and wondering what you thought. I'm basically looking for something reliable with reasonable power. I don't want to spend much time wrenching except for regular maintenance. Something that has decent deep snow performance, but I'm not looking to be hillclimbing or anything.

which would be better?
'98 RMK 600
'97 Summit 583
'98 Mountain Max 600

Thanks

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I have a 98 powder special and it looks like it would hold its weight well in the pow. I would look into one if I was you. Also no trailing arms to bend with hidin stumps.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I rode an '00 600 last year and now I own it for the wife and friends. But we had a good snow year and was riding in the mountains at about 5-10ft of snow. Me being a newbie rode the hell out of it and didnt get stuck all that much for my first time out.And this sled packed me around being 6ft and 200 lbs with no problem. Even high marking it did real well to my standards ( not being much at this point of riding) but hey thought id put my .02 in!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
either the RMK or the Summit. See if you can find a RMK 700.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Wow, Yami's sure takes a beating on this site.
I have owned or ridden with all these machines, so here's my opinion.

Mtn max is probably the rarest of the bunch. I have owned that exact sled for the last 8 years. Excellent all round machine. Auto temp and altitude compensated. Good power. Great suspension. For reliabilty, fit & finish, quality, you can't beat the Yami. It ran very consitant, weather we were mtn riding or rippin down the trails.

The RMK600....these have always been a good sled right out of the box. They do work better in the deep snow than the trails. In their day, they were quite popular, and I have crossed paths many times. The place they shined were in deep snow where they always had a bit more power and traction than the MMax.

Also the Summit is a good all round machine. One of our buds has a 98 and it still runs good. I believe the 97 also has the HAC, so that will help in the jetting dept. Personally, I found this sled more tippy. Found when it got to the the steep and deep, it never did as good as the other two sleds.

Ok, since you are shopping Red Deer, I am going to guess the MMax is the one I just sold (was listed in busellbyphoto). I had a ton of calls on it, and sold quite fast. My other machine is a RMK700, and I kept it over the Yami only because the RMK has way more power and works better in the deep snow.

It's easy to compare when you have owned both at the same time.
We ride mtns a fair bit, but also go to Caroline and south of Rocky for day trips. There are lots of nice riding areas back there.

Anyways, I hope that helps, happy shopping

·
Registered
20 Posts
I personally ride a 99 RMK600 which is basically the same as the 98 RMK600 except the 99 has ACCS to look after your jetting in regards to altitude. It is a good all around sled for not real serious mountain riding although it gets me anywhere I want to go in the mountains and foothills. I have ridden with all three model years of sled that you mention and they're all pretty close. The RMK rides better than the Summit in the rough stuff. The Yamaha has a decent ride but has a bit less power than the others, not a big deal though. If I were you I would base my purchase on which sled is in the best shape. All are very reliable.
PS. How's the snow west of Rocky and Caroline? Thinking of doing a run out there after Christmas if it is decent.

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
I believe the 98 RMK 600 was the MTN sled of the year in its class. Cant go wrong with one of those.

·
Registered
841 Posts
How's the snow west of Rocky and Caroline
A couple weeks back, we went out by Caroline. The snow was limited and you had to be careful and watch out for the normal hazards. We found a few good spots but won't go back now until we get another good dump of snow.
It was just nice to get out and make sure everything still runs.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Originally posted by indy440
[br]either the RMK or the Summit. See if you can find a RMK 700.
I totally agree with the RMK 700 but I would look into a 99/00 with the accs. My 700 although has a few mods but it is a rippin beast on or off the trail. I can hang with the newer longer track 700 and I only got SLP pipes, V-force reeds and a modified clutch.Luckily I bought it with these on it but man can it rip! You would probably be smart to look into one of the 700's. I might be selling mine next year and I will post it here so hold on and you could buy mine!!lol[:D]

·
Registered
344 Posts
i would go ahead with the 600 rmk. my dad and i share 1998 600rmk and 700 rmk's.

the 600 rips if you gear down. great sled. always starts up on the first pull. very reliable. with a 600rmk with a 136" x 2" paddles, you'll be good on the powder. but once you get into the deep deep stuff it will start to sink a bit.

but i'm very happy with the both of them. great for the average. 50 50 trail powder rider.

·
Registered
667 Posts
As has been said, the 98 600 RMK is a great sled! Hard to go wrong with it if it's in decent shape. In the three seasons i've ridden it's basically been trouble free. I've changed a belt and had a mechanic fix the float heights as well as some plugs and routine maintenance.
I have the euro version, which has a 2-up seat and 1" by 136" track (basically an SKS, sssch ;) and it does well in deep stuff. The 1.75" track should really give it deep snow capabilities.
It's really easy to start (usually first pull) and the power is great. The stock pipe and can have a nice tone and it's louder than most stock sleds. It almost sounds aftermarket. Gas milage isn't the best by today's semi direct injection standards, but ok at about 10 mpg.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Originally posted by GeFeldz
[br]As has been said, the 98 600 RMK is a great sled! Hard to go wrong with it if it's in decent shape. In the three seasons i've ridden it's basically been trouble free. I've changed a belt and had a mechanic fix the float heights as well as some plugs and routine maintenance.
I have the euro version, which has a 2-up seat and 1" by 136" track (basically an SKS, sssch ;) and it does well in deep stuff. The 1.75" track should really give it deep snow capabilities.
It's really easy to start (usually first pull) and the power is great. The stock pipe and can have a nice tone and it's louder than most stock sleds. It almost sounds aftermarket. Gas milage isn't the best by today's semi direct injection standards, but ok at about 10 mpg.
like maestro said, the gas mileage isn't all that good. run it leaner and then you'll adjust the jettting on it. and yeah, the pipe definitely has a nice scream to it. the only problem we have had with out 600rmk in the past 3 years is i drilled a stump and it bent the trailing arm. but on our 700 last year the clutch somehow got all messed up and started burning up a belt.

but no problems whatsoever. a 600 rmk would be a great investment! and plus, it's got that great wedge look to it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey thanks guys for all your opinions. I ended up going for the RMK. It also has a 141" track, skidplate, plastic ski's, and a couple other things. I can't wait to get out and test it! Tahnks again!

·
Registered
128 Posts
98 rmk all the way!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts