Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next winter im going to be thinking about buying and older yamaha by older i mean from about 82-85. I wouldnt mind buying a sled that needs a top end job. So what was there good sleds the phazers, exciter, SRVs?

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
If you wouldn't mind a slow sled get a 250 Bravo, my old one went 56 MPH on the radar, and I couldn't kill it, I drove the s*** out of it.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Oh ya it was a 1987, and I got it for $500.00, used it for 4 winters, and sold it for $500.00.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I bought a '84 340 Enticer for my kids a few years ago. You can't kill it; very reliable sled. My daughter's had it up to 100kph on the lake. I bought it for Cdn$600 maybe 3 years ago.

Jacqui.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
you want a fast sled?? 78 srx 440 82 - 85 srv 540 fast as hell pretty much any exciter from that era was pretty good too

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dont want or need a fast sled but i just wanta lttle more motor than a 250. Ideally id lika 440-500. But if i had to go bigger i might. How are the phazers in these years?

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Sounds like your looking for one of the old style Exciter 440's. Those things were bulet proof, light, and fast! I forget the years they were made, but I think some where from the late 70's to the mid 80's. Great sled, and you should be able to pick one up in the price range you've stated. My neigbor still has one that he drives to this day.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I just saw an 84 VMax up by my cabin in Cadillac with a rebuilt engine for $800. Those sleds go pretty good. I think they were like a 540cc or something.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Yeah, then it sounds like an older VMax or SRX is what you're looking for. As I believe that both had the TS front suspension. Which is about as good as you can hope for in your price range.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
i got an 83 indy 600 for a remote controlled car LOL keep looking man youll find what you are looking for but if ya want updated front suspension then the srv is for you. i see em around here all the time for 300 to 600 bucks so you should be able to find one pretty easily.

bobby

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
The Enticer is prety good.

·
Registered
802 Posts
The old V-Max's were cool. They had twin carbs and pipes. I have an 87' Exciter and it handles good, good suspension, and plenty of power.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Phazers are good sleds, A little rough riding sled compared to todays. I ride with two people that have them, they are 500's. One the girl rides the sh*t out of one and the other is for sale $600 if you are interested. He upgraded to an XCR 700. If you are located close to West Michhigan. let me know. Never had either break down on a ride. +++

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Phazers are great reliable sleds, my family had several of them over the years. No, the suspension doesn't compare to the sleds of today.....but back then, they were top of the line. If you can find a Phazer in good condition and resonably price, I'd say snap it up!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the help guys. Ill be looking for a phzer or exciter more thne likely. I'll keep an eye out for the V MAX's too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts