Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ya it's me again. I was in love with my Polaris for about 2 days, but now I'm on the fence again.

My 97 XLT Special ran great all weekend until one time I was going down the trail about 35 mph and it just lost power and started bogging real bad. I was able to keep it running till we got to a place to pull over and then as soon as I let off the throttle it quit. I changed the plugs several times, but it made no difference. Also took the belt right off but engine still would not run right, put in dry gas too. Got it started again and by holding the throttle to the bar and running along side got it moving and jumped on. Went about a mile doing like 10 mph wide open and then the engine started coming back running great. Just when I thought the problem was gone it would die again. I went through this cycle a number of times running alongside going up hills and to get started till I was completely whipped and finally found a place along the trail to leave it.

I am thinking coils or stuck float, anyone seen this before? [xx(]

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just had a complete motor rebuild, pistons, rings, bearings, seals, etc. Carbs gone through 3 times recently. Motor still turn over nicely. Right plug is black and oily, other 2 are light and dry. Smokes like crazy when you can get it started.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just for the heck of it try pulling the fuel filter in the tank and check it out. Might be pluged[?]

·
Registered
66 Posts
Check the caps on your spark plug wires you could have a bad cap and or wire. [:)]

·
Registered
109 Posts
My dad had the same problem with his 97 xlt limited and he brought it to the shop and the carbs were set wide open that the mechanic said it was amazing that the seld ran. The carbs got adjusted and the sled runs perfect now.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I would rule out the float because it usually only sticks wide open, so then it should run fine at higher speeds, and like crap idling... I would check your plugs, lines, and filters...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well it's a triple and from what you descrbe sounds like you cooked a cylinder. First off do a compression test. That will immediately rule that possibilty out. It may not be this but a good place to start.

KB

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just so you all know the engine did not blow up again. This problem turned out to be a stuck float on #3 carb. The fuel was just pouring through the engine. When it quit on the trail for the last time it was out of gas it was using it so fast.

Thanks again for all your help. Hopefully you won't hear anything at all about this sled next year except it's running great.

Well I'm going to put it in the in-laws barn now, but over the summer I will be looking for some add-ons, like ski skins and maybe a lighter silencer can. Some other nice to haves would be a map holder, GPS holder, windshield bag, maybe a belly shield and some colored trim pieces to dress it up, etc, etc, etc...

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Scrap the ski skin idea. You'd be better off getting some good after market skiis or some newer polaris oem plastic skiis. I put SLP SLT skiis on my 97 xltsp and it made a huge difference in handling. Plus you're saving 10 pounds of un-sprung wieght.

dan

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Funny you should say that. I was just looking at some plastic skis on ebay. I'm just a little leery about putting any real money in the old XLT after all I've been through with it.

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I know how you feel XLTSP, I'm in the same boat. But I figure since I've put so much time and money into it thus far, that I'll HAVE to keep it. Even after I upgrade to a new sled, I'll just use it as an ice fishing sled.

So go ahead and slap some plastic skis on. I'll probably be doing the same. I keep checking ebay, and I've been looking at the OEM Polaris plastic ones as well.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the words of encouragement TFIN. Ya I'm looking at stuff and if I find a good deal who knows what I'll buy. It's a sickness.

I'm already looking forward to next year. It's driving me nuts just knowing my sled is all ready to ride sitting in my mother in-laws barn. Especially when it was broke most of the winter.

So how did you decide on the color springs you bought for your clutch? Mine runs pretty strong throughout the range with the new pistons and the porting, but you always want just a little more.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I ordered the free catalogue from EPI. In it they list all the colors for the stock Polaris springs for each sled, then their recomendation for their upgraded spring. I was actually surprised that they listed their recomendations. With that knowledge, you don't need to spend the extra money on the pre assebled kits. You can simply put together your own Kit by purchasing the individual components. Much more inexpensive!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ya it's me again. I was in love with my Polaris for about 2 days, but now I'm on the fence again.

My 97 XLT Special ran great all weekend until one time I was going down the trail about 35 mph and it just lost power and started bogging real bad. I was able to keep it running till we got to a place to pull over and then as soon as I let off the throttle it quit. I changed the plugs several times, but it made no difference. Also took the belt right off but engine still would not run right, put in dry gas too. Got it started again and by holding the throttle to the bar and running along side got it moving and jumped on. Went about a mile doing like 10 mph wide open and then the engine started coming back running great. Just when I thought the problem was gone it would die again. I went through this cycle a number of times running alongside going up hills and to get started till I was completely whipped and finally found a place along the trail to leave it.

I am thinking coils or stuck float, anyone seen this before? [xx(]
Weak stator

1 - 17 of 17 Posts