Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for suggestions here... Have an '96 XCR 600 with 4500 miles on it. It has run great up until this season. Now it starts hard and will only run on half choke. Here's what I've done so far; Took the carbs off, soaked them & cleaned them up, drained the tank and put in fresh gas. I put in new plugs (spark seems good), new fuel filter (including tank pick up), and a new fuel pump. I've heard that these motors are prone to bad crank seals, so while it was running I sprayed carb cleaner around the bottom of the engine with hopes that I would here a change in the idle -I didn't. Seems to be a fuel issue, but I'm at a loss -Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
when you took the carbs off and soaked them, did you pull the jets out and clean them? If you aren't 110% sure the carbs are clean, I'd try that again. Then i'd be worried about an air leak somewhere if you know the carbs are clean. It sounds like you went through the right steps in tracking it down, but i'd be willing to bet you either overlooked something, or else missed it.

make sure the pilot jets are not plugged as well as all the needles in the carb and all passages are clean.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Originally posted by TriumphoverU
[br]when you took the carbs off and soaked them, did you pull the jets out and clean them? If you aren't 110% sure the carbs are clean, I'd try that again. Then i'd be worried about an air leak somewhere if you know the carbs are clean. It sounds like you went through the right steps in tracking it down, but i'd be willing to bet you either overlooked something, or else missed it.

make sure the pilot jets are not plugged as well as all the needles in the carb and all passages are clean.
Yes, soaking carbs is not cleaning them. To properly clean the carbs you must do a complete tare down, and use compressed air and be sure all jets and passages are clear.
Try that, if it is still giving problems I would check compression and take a look up the exhaust end of the engine and see if your piston skirts are still there.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Try checking all your electricial connections. My 700 xc did just what u discribed and after cleaning and recleaning and cussing and redoing everything 6 times i discovered corsotion in the plug to the cdi from the stater. Cleaned it up and it ran fine. Mine sparked and looked just fine too so dont be fooled by that, i was.

just a sugestion

medic 24

·
Registered
539 Posts
your sled is starving for fuel.
after you verrify the carb jets are clear, verrify that your choke cable is not broken/siezed choke plates.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts