Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[xx(]Well guys it looks like my 1973 400 tx racer just puked a lung out the exhaust pipe. It is completely unrebuildable,so we picked up a 1980 440 free air out of a tx. Man what a difference in the size of the fins on the heads. With a weight of just over 300 lbs this little sled should be just nuts, get on, hit the throttle and hold on. We think it should be no problem to hit about 80 mph.[:0] Not bad for an old baby. We do have snow here in Niagara Falls Canada but it is calling for rain on Tue. I hope not because we are waiting for a new wrist pin bearing and then everything will go all together new pistons and all can't wait to see what it will do. Well bfn guys and have fun but stay safe. Oh ya Go Team Canada Jrs./snofan/../images/users/canadianguy/1973 polaris.jpg

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
i think in 73 suspension was an option. LOL just kidding man those are rockets for sleds as it is. i wouldnt mind getting my hands on a starfire 795cc racer what a rocket that thing would be

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I like the Alpines, a guy that I know has one, and he is putting a 1000 motor in it, it's going to be nuts.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Originally posted by Bobinwi
[br]i think in 73 suspension was an option. LOL just kidding man those are rockets for sleds as it is. i wouldnt mind getting my hands on a starfire 795cc racer what a rocket that thing would be
lol.....my 74 panther has bout 2 inches of travel, the seat cushion is still alright, but gettin pretty wore now......goin 50 on them sleds were scary, goin 80 would be insane, hope u got a smooth trail to rid eon

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[:D]Well Guys we got the 1973 tx400 sled finally running today after putting the new moter in it and man oh man does it sound mean.This 440 free air running though basicly a almost hollow muffler is REAL LOUD and real crisp.We are though in the process of getting the jets just right. Started with 155 then went to 150 probably will run 147.5s . Fouled the plugs last night after about a tank of gas probably because we were running the fuel a little rich and it wasn't too cold here in Niagara Falls but man this thing is a rocket. My buddies in their 400 liquids couldn't belive it. We ran into some guys with their (skidoos) and the kinda laffed at the old sled until they heard it start and saw it pull the skies when I cracked the throttle. I over heard one guy say "that old polaris is fu*#in mean" Well what can I say long live the old guys lol. Well bfn and have fun guys and just pray for more and more snow.[8D]/snofan/../images/users/canadianguy/1973 polaris.jpg

·
Registered
975 Posts
Hey Canadianguy........our boys lost to the Russians tonight. Maybe next year. B-(

·
Registered
749 Posts
Come on you are so full of shit you stink. there is no way a tx 400 is faster then a 500. I have a 1989 trail and it runs 85-90. It actually fools alot of people because i got a person to make me indy sport graphics for it. 340 wonder what the hell is going on when i beat them. Alls it has is a multicut cam and new clutch weights. Im buyng a red primary spring this week.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Not kidding man, my 1980 TX 440 is actually faster than my 90 Indy Trail 488. There is a significant weight difference here. I can't believe yours will do 85-90.. I'm lucky to hit 75 but I'm also 300 pounds.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
my 340 txl walks all over my brother in laws 94 Jag 440. and a trail would prolly have a hard time keeping up with me.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well guys we clocked the 1973 Tx 440 at 80 mph with still throttle left.And we figure it will get stronger with the 147.5 jets. And it is suppose to get real cold here,the one thing that I did notice was the front end was getting really lite at those speeds.We will wait and see what it will do with the smaller jets. I will let you know.

·
Registered
366 Posts
got a 79 tx-c that'll do 80. My brother's 91 cougar 500 fan has a hard time pulling away from it

·
Registered
749 Posts
I weight 180 pounds and 85 to 90 is what it runs on hardpack. My 89 will beat a 96 488 Bad!!! But i checked the stats and the 96 weighs somthing like 30 pounds more than the 89.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey guys, can't count out those ole sleds. I raced a 1975 Eltigre Z440 up until 1998 in the 800 improved stock classes. Of course it was Ported by HPE, 44mm Carbs, had a comet clutch, and newer arctic secondary clutch with lightwieght components, and a snopro track. 106mph in 660ft...ZRT's could'nt touch it [:D]

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
[:D]Well the 147.5 jets are in and did it make world of difference,it also got nice and cold here in the Niagara Falls area.One crack of the throttle and the front end is off the ground. And as for speed it is alot quicker than before,now just amagine if we start playing with the clutch and chain gears. We are hoping to take it to the vintage grass drags next year and it should do just fine./snofan/../images/users/canadianguy/1973 polaris.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've got a 79' Polaris cobra 400. I took it to the grass drags and lost, or came in 2nd, behind a totally built up Centrion 500, but other than that, there is no sled that can touch the acceleration of this baby. I have yet to encounter a sled that has trouble pulling away from me.I plan on playing with the clutch, and a few mods to really get it moving.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts