Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I pulled apart my secondary clutch yeaterday and didn't mark which hole the spring goes into. Does anyone know which knoth or hole it goes into for stock setup?

thanks

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Should be hole number 2 but if it is the original spring you could use #3 to increase the backshift... Also make sure you preload the spring when you put the clutch back together. You will want to turn it 1/3 turn to preload...

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm curious, how would the performance alter if the 2ndary was not preloaded properly? Assuming it would open too soon and would bog the motor at low end...does that make sense?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
It wouldnt work properly at all. You have the right theory... sort of. The preload keeps the ramp buttons on the helix. the helix is responsible for up shift and back shift.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is the original spring, so I guess I will put it back on hole #2. If I put it on #3 will it change the performance by a lot?? or just my low end

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Going to Hole 3 will increas the backshift, meaning when you let off the gas it will downshift quicker. How many miles are on the sled? It may be best to replace the spring with a new stock spring and keep it in hole 2

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are 3000 miles on the sled right now. And its been well taken care of. Hmmm well i will put it back in hole 2 for now, and mabe later on put it on 3 and see how it reacts.. thanks for the info!!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
WOW! 3000 miles on the stock spring? Well taken care of or not, clutch springs are constantly degrading and get weaker with each engagment, its the nature of the spring.

Replacing that stock spring might bring new life to that sled, if you're looking for it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Only after the 3000 miles and the clutch spring could already be shot? Well I guess I will just get a new one then, they are pretty cheap.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yeah that spring will ba little soft. It's not just the miles, but also the age of the spring. When it sits in your clutch all year under tension, it slowly loses it's tension. I would replace the spring as they are only about $12-$20.
I remove the springs from both my clutches every spring to make them last longer, but I have a tester to tell when they are getting softer, so it might just be easier for you to change the springs every 2-3 years.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well i will change it out tomorrow then, thanks for info guys!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts