Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm trying to get the stator off my spare motor. However I've tried many of the tricks in my bag. We've gone as far as heating the crank cherry and trying to hit it with a puller. She's on there. I'm affraid the sawzall or the die grinder is going to get a workout. Any other options before I could possibly ruin my chances of ever getting it off.[;)]

·
Registered
855 Posts
We had the same prob. on my Buddy's Arctic cat the guy told us to get PB Blaster and soak it!!!!! Then put the puller on and get her tight! and leave it for 24 hours tight as hell then if its not off hit the puller a few times with a hammer. Hope this helps

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
heat it some then pour cold water on it

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
if you get the flywheel real hot it might not be any good. the check the magnents that they are still glued on good and have pull to them.

I have ran into this on some sleds. I usually end up tapping a few of the holes to 5/16. then run grade 8 bolts. let a 3/8 impact rap on it for a while then switch to the 1/2 inch. end up hammer for a second with the air gun. then a couple hits with a hammer until it popes. check the crank for run out. its not hard to flex the crank on a stubborn flywheel.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I just had this problem not long ago. A couple tips I found that work well were to:
1. Get the puller on there nice and tight, then leave it for a day or two.
2. check back every so often and tighten the puller with an impact.
3. It might need some heat, but try steps 1 and 2 first

I had to use heat on mine, after 4 days of constant pressure, the thing wouldn't budge. It didn't take mutch heat though, little heat and a big impact go a long way.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by madcow
[br]if you get the flywheel real hot it might not be any good. the check the magnents that they are still glued on good and have pull to them.

I have ran into this on some sleds. I usually end up tapping a few of the holes to 5/16. then run grade 8 bolts. let a 3/8 impact rap on it for a while then switch to the 1/2 inch. end up hammer for a second with the air gun. then a couple hits with a hammer until it popes. check the crank for run out. its not hard to flex the crank on a stubborn flywheel.
I'm not worried abput it anymore I just want the crank out so I can inspect and put new seals on it. I'll buy another off of ebay if I have to.

The puller was on there for a week straight and was tightened every day with a half inch inpact. Didn't budge. I've tried quite a few of these recommendations already.

I may try soaking it for a few days here. But, the way this has gone so far I'm convinced it won't budge.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
All you want to not get destroyed is the crank, right? If you're willing to destroy the stator and/or flywheel I'd say try tapping the holes in the flywheel bigger and running bolts through it to push on the stator. AND use the regular puller if you can fit it on there. THEN try beating the $H!T out of the flywheel with a hammer and pry bar. If that doesn't work, bring it to a machine shop and have them press it off. I'm probably going to get yelled at here for my destructive nature on this one....

Bryan

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[attachment=53055][attachment=53056]

[attachment=53057][attachment=53058]

Problem solved. I like breakstuff's attitude.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts