Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone im looking at a reposed 2008 outlaw 525 KTM whats everyone think of these quads?

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
I have had some seat time on one,seemed to be a good quad. I could tell it was heavier then my 450 because of its IRS. They are around 51hp which is respectable for a stock quad. If you can get a good deal on one you cant go wrong.

·
Registered
584 Posts
one of my buddies had one but didnt like the independant rear suspension cause it was prety heavy and dosnt corner well. but he recently got an outlaw with the same motor and loves it!

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Haha, my research finally pays off. I was looking at buying a 2008 Polaris Outlaw 525 IRS this spring. I did a solid month of research on these bikes. I'll outline what I have found.

Motor: 52hp 529cc KTM 4-stroke, chain drive race motor, quick revving, very responsive, reliable (MANY reports of 3000+ miles(not km) on the motors without touching them). Very fast, bone stock, 87mph on the gun.

drivetrain: chain driven, 6 speed transmission manuel. Chain does not pivot like normal chain drives, the rear gear is mounted in the chassis, so the chain does not stretch nearly as much, so not even close to as much chain maintenance.

chassis/suspension/handling: the IRS rear suspension is not 100% universal, its for the people that want the fun of a sport quad, but the suspension and ground clearance for trails. Still handles great, and jumps well. Will not kick out and flat slide a corner at 50 mph like nothing like a solid axle, that outside rear wheel likes to grab. the IRS is very plush, and for trails aggressively, Very nice setup.

Overall, the bike has the fun of a Polaris, with the reliability and performance of KTM.

WICKED FUN BIKES, cant go wrong, and the last year for the nice body style, before the ugly ass single headligth style.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Friend has a 500 and I absolutely love it! Another friend has the 525, and all I know is it's a lot faster than my friends 500, and is basically the same thing other than speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXGAMEO0HFw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQIvWBZtfqM&feature=related

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have an outlaw 500 and would never go back to a straight axle quad. They are awkward at first but once you get used to them they rock. If you have buddies with straight axle quads you will run circles around them all day long in the trails. My 500 will keep up with any of the 450's and the 525's are supposed to be a lot faster than them. I would go with it.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
I bought one of the first ones in the summer of 07'. It was a totally hasty buy. I literally saw it on the net and went bought one the next day.

heres my take on it...
if you're gonna trail it it's probably an excellent choice. The motor is nuts. When I had mine there wasn't a class to race it though. Even if there were, you would get SPANKED by the yfz's. The irs is way to spongy to compete with the solid axles on any track. Flip side is you'd spank the yfz on the trail. Like I was sayin, that 525 ktm mill is sick...right outta the box. If you're lookin for somthing to be fun everywhere and don't have any plans of any sanctioned racing they are fun. I've got a pic of mine in my gallery if you wanna see it. I should also mention this too...if you've ever raced on two wheels you won't have a lot of fun on four. I sold mine after a few tanks of gas. Just didn't do it for me like a bike. I got a steal on a 660 so I snagged it...other than that, my 250 cat gets more use than any quad I've ever owned (utility)

good luck[thumb]

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Let me know what you think about the Polaris Sport Quad, I have been keeping an eye out for something similar also. Just bought a new Sportsman 800 Touring for momma and I to ride on and go to the hills with our boys and watch them do the "crazy" on their Yamaha YZ 250's!! When Gas is needed or a breakdown on the dirtbikes requires a lift back to the ranch, then momma and ride the Polaris Ranger 6x6, that is a animal in itself!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts