Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so planning on bringing my old girl to a reputable shop as I'm having an issue with her but figured I would ask here first.
I did read through a few of the old threads but didn't find anything that matched my symptoms.
so what i have is a 1993 xlt 580 sp with slp triple pipes its a snow check model with a factory electric fuel gauge and reveres plus an upgraded sway bar and 7.5 inch wide plastic skis, it has a new top end and re-gasketed, clutches set up for the pipes and rebuilt last year, and jetted for the pipes
my issue is only when i go beyond 3/4 throttle doesn't matter if I'm rolling @ 60mph or start off the line as soon as i go beyond 3/4 throttle it bogs and falls on her face, bring it back down below 3/4 and runs like a top. put over 500 miles on it this February this way as it rides and will hit over 80 with 3/4 throttle on a groomed trail plugs are a nice coco brown fires in 3 pulls cold and a jab warm
ive poured over this machine to try and find my issue with no avail I'm hoping some old head here has messed with these sleds back in the day can give me a direction to follow. i love riding around on the old Polaris wedge chassis so yea i know its old but its a runner
Snow Automotive tire Slope Vehicle Freezing

·
Registered
31 Posts
also sounds like main jetting (not enuf fuel), restricted fuel filter or kinked fuel line, weak fuel pump - bowls could be running dry at WOT. I know you said it’s jetted for the pipes but you still may have to upsize a little.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
also sounds like main jetting (not enuf fuel), restricted fuel filter or kinked fuel line, weak fuel pump - bowls could be running dry at WOT. I know you said it’s jetted for the pipes but you still may have to upsize a little.
So I decided to jack the sled up, fire it up, and let it warm up a bit, then said screw it and held it to the bar till it died. Checked the plugs and they were soaked with fuel, pulled the crank drains and same thing. So I think it's over jetted not under jetted so I'm going to try installing one jet size down from 230s to 220s and got from there as stock was 200s

·
Registered
9 Posts
If it has slp pipes on it u have to install the clutch kit for it or it will never run right. An it depends which pipes u have on how u jet it. With the slp stinger pipes it won’t even be in the power band till 5500 rpm’s. The clutch engages on mine at 6k turns 9800 rpm’s wot. 97 xc 600 with a welded crank 60 over pistons. If i remember correct mine has 290 jets in it 38mm carbs. These are the other set they made they are not the stingers
Automotive design Font Snapshot Art Illustration

Font Parallel Pattern Rectangle Number

Font Parallel Number Pattern Screenshot

·
Registered
2 Posts
so planning on bringing my old girl to a reputable shop as I'm having an issue with her but figured I would ask here first.
I did read through a few of the old threads but didn't find anything that matched my symptoms.
so what i have is a 1993 xlt 580 sp with slp triple pipes its a snow check model with a factory electric fuel gauge and reveres plus an upgraded sway bar and 7.5 inch wide plastic skis, it has a new top end and re-gasketed, clutches set up for the pipes and rebuilt last year, and jetted for the pipes
my issue is only when i go beyond 3/4 throttle doesn't matter if I'm rolling @ 60mph or start off the line as soon as i go beyond 3/4 throttle it bogs and falls on her face, bring it back down below 3/4 and runs like a top. put over 500 miles on it this February this way as it rides and will hit over 80 with 3/4 throttle on a groomed trail plugs are a nice coco brown fires in 3 pulls cold and a jab warm
ive poured over this machine to try and find my issue with no avail I'm hoping some old head here has messed with these sleds back in the day can give me a direction to follow. i love riding around on the old Polaris wedge chassis so yea i know its old but its a runner View attachment 533193
RULE Number 1: DO NOT (repeat) DO not run sled wide open on stand. IF track comes apart or clutch shatters , they will be picking pieces up pieces of you in the next county!!!!
RULE Number 2: DO NOT IGNORE RULE 1.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts