Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1996 polaris storm 800 and lately it has been over heating on me. I will ride for a few miles and the temp light will come on.I have filled up the tank and blead out all the lines. Any ideas any one? [confused2]

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
check the wate pump belt tension. i rebilt a pullrope on a indy 440 today and the belt was so loose. idk how it was staying cool.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MicahMan said:
check the wate pump belt tension. i rebilt a pullrope on a indy 440 today and the belt was so loose. idk how it was staying cool.
The belt seems to be in good shape and tight. the water pump also spins freely. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
35 Posts
powderking800 said:
I have a 1996 polaris storm 800 and lately it has been over heating on me. I will ride for a few miles and the temp light will come on.I have filled up the tank and blead out all the lines. Any ideas any one? [confused2]
are the heat exchangers getting hot too? gotta have flow and maybe some snow hitting them, or maybe lean? Seals? Boots?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
flyinbri said:
powderking800 said:
are the heat exchangers getting hot too? gotta have flow and maybe some snow hitting them, or maybe lean? Seals? Boots?

The heat exchangers are getting hot.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Storms will overheat in low snow. If there's low snow, pack some snow on the running boards.

What do the plugs look like?

·
Registered
69 Posts
cannon3731 said:
Could be a head gasket.
X2, could be sucking air from a bad gasket

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
If you have head gasket issues, you'll see bubbles in the tank when the engine is running.

·
Registered
840 Posts
If the head gasket is bad, it would pushes the anti-freeze out of the reservior. Im not sure if you have a thermostat in that sled and if you do, it might be stuck close and not openning. Check to see if thats the problem. Other options, waterpump ... lock air in the line?? Or maybe youre not really overheating, bad sensor? Anything can be the factor. Anyone? WL.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
A cracked water pump won't wet yer spark plugs...

The overheating may have caused warping, and hence leaks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts