Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This would relate to the hard starting V-Max post. I bought this sled ,a 1997 600 V-Max (my first sled), 3 years ago. Of course, after I got it, it quit snowing. Maby once or twice a year it would snow enough to ride it a short distance. I changed the gas and stabalized it. Lo and behold it snowed this year! Wouldn't start so I gave it a whiff of ether (what can I say, I'm a farmer and ether is available). That started it. Ran good for 50 miles, then I smoked the left piston and cylinder.

Now whether it was the ether, the gummed up carb. (which it was) , or some one of the other many things that can screw up a 2-stroke is either here nor now for my question.

I replaced the jug and piston and took it out for a test drive.

Overheated. Within 2 miles.

Bled the system, overheated.

Have bled the system multiple times. Front end elevated, cocked to the left 45 degrees, forced fluid through it, yada yada yada. Still overheating after one to two miles.

Have checked the water pump. Was able to turn over pistons with it, so I assume the belt is fine.

Still overheating.

Doesn't seem to be any flow through the system (have temp. checked cylinders and hoses and the hoses don't warm up at all compared to the cylinders).

Have replaced front hoses and no change. I assume there could be a blockage somewhere in the rear, but I have had no trouble blowing air through it at low pressure (my pathetic lungs).

After a week and 5 gal. of coolant (I also pulled the head again to make sure I didn't have a blockage from the cylinder replacement), I have given it to my dealer to see if expending money will solve the problem.

My fervent wish is that I did not put it through enough gyrations, and there is still an airlock in there.

I assume the snow will melt before I get it back.

Anybody else run into this?

Still Overheating, and i'm not talking about the sled.

·
Registered
528 Posts
You're not running straight anti-freeze by any chance are you?

When bled the cooling system, did you use the bleeder screws?

You would also need to pressure test the cooling system, did the hoses get hard when the engine heated up?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pump looked fine. No I didn't ride it in powder. Would overheat within a mile without getting on it.

Running a 50% blend. Used bleeding screw, loosened hoses, etc.,etc.
Hoses did get hard after I ran it. Seemed to force fluid into reservoir without any noticable flow to the rest of the system.

Thanks for the interest.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Problem solved. I wasn't aware of the bleeder screws under the seat. Wish they would have told me that before I brought it in, but what the heck. Wasn't a expensive lesson and there is still snow on the ground.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts