Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had the 600 out last nite and i thought it overheated...get home and my naive self thought it was just cause i put too much coolant into the motor and it was back flowing. hooked up the dummy lights today and took it out again and its still overheating...I'm very new to this whole snowmobiling deal, Ive been around them for quite some time now, but have never owned one...I guess I just dont know the ins and outs of it...How much snow do I need on the ground for the sled to comfortably cool itself. and if there was enough snow on the ground why is it overheating? any tips on similar issues would be of great help. thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
did you bleed it when you put the coolant in i think this could be the problem but not positive

·
Registered
295 Posts
bleed it, burp it,check the waterpump belt,
I think 3 inches is the minimum not for sure how much exactly

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea...this is all japanese to me...I am so new to this ****. I dont know how to bleed the system. im guessing you take the cap off and let it run for a while? and as far as the water pump belt goes...where the hell is this located and how do I service it?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
To burp the system, or "bleed it", leave the pressure cap on but lift up on the lever on top of the cap. Next, have the front of the sled up in the air and let it run at a fast idle. I ususally do it for around a minute. Then push the lever back down on the pressure cap and lower the sled and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
^^^Yeah and some have a brass screw on the top of the water neck coming from the motor...usually the highest point to get the air out. Water pump and belt should be under the recoil, depending on the sled and there are specs on how wide the belt should be or just replace it if it is questionable. They don't cost much and its good insurance. Good luck and let it snow.[:)]

·
Registered
295 Posts
thermostat problem?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would agree with the air pocket in the system as a possibility, I just had the same problem on my 96 XCR 600 after I melted a piston in it, I came on here for help and got a lot of air pocket comments, I thought I burned my piston due to lack of snow but I am not highly doubting that happened, as far as I know if you have enough snow to ride your sled it should be cooling just fine, I am by no means an expert on sleds but like I said I just had the same problem and thought the same thing you did and was straightened out by these fine people on here. Did you just buy the sled or have you had it for a while? the waterpump belt should be on the right side of the motor probably under a cover(correct me if I'm wrong) thats where mine is. My problem ended up being a headgasket but I would eliminate all other possibilities before you check that, I would start out simple and cheap before you go digging into the motor, and by all means if she gets hot shut it down and let it cool before you ride it home.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My sled has a tendancy to overheat when ridden on hard packed snow. If you don't have fluffy snow to circulate onto your heat exchangers you will overhead.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea thats the thing i dont know how much snow is enough? thing overheats in like 10 minutes...and i just bought it so i dont know the history on it. i sure hope it is not a blown head gasget. how would i tell if it was? i checked the waterpump belt and it looked ok. i jacked up the front with the cap vented and let it idle for about a half hour and closed it. i havent had t out yet to check if its still doing it because there isnt enough snow on the ground. time will tell i guess. any tips on how to tell if its a blown head gasget would be greatly appreciated! thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
id say its the thermostat. my 2001 600 just started overheating out of nowhere, so i pulled the themostat out on top of the head and put it in boiling water to see if she moved and had nothing so i replaced it and had no problem.There about 25$.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
where abouts would the thermostat be on my machine? or does it even have one? I've looked in the obvious placed and no sign of one. please help me, I'm lost and don't know where I am!

·
Registered
404 Posts
What type of sled is this? There was no 1994 Indy 600. The last of the triple Indy 600's were made in 1987. The XLT has the lightweight 600 triple made between 1994 and 1999. The 600 XCR used 2 different 600's depending on year and model The SP's used a debored version of the case-reed ultra motor and others used the Fuji 600 from the XLT in slightly revised form.(I am not positive on these, someone who knows more about triples correct these statements) The 600 XC made in 1996+ has a Liberty 600 twin in it. As far as I know, the only one that actually has a thermostat is the Liberty 600 Twin in the 600 XC. My 500 Fuji in my Indy 500 would only overheat if the outside temps were in the high 30's/40's and with large bare spots in the trail. That is the only time I have ridden in such poor conditions, and it is the only time I have ever seen the light on the dash come on. Your motor would make more heat however, so yours may kick in earlier. Check the pressure cap, bleed the system again, check the water pump belt (Especially if this is a 600 XC as it also runs the oiler!). Start it up and let it run it for a while. If it starts bubbling and you feel the heat exchangers aren't even warm, it is a pump or bleeding issue.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Strokr,

I took my new '04 switchback (525 miles on it) down an ice packed road about 4 miles, and I started getting overheating. I drove back slow and in the snowbank....no light. And I took it 45 miles this weekend at 70-100 mph on a lake with 3" of crust snow....no light.

That road must have been the problem. If you were on similar conditions, that's probably what it was.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
figured it out...and ill give you a shiny new nickel if you guess right what it was...this has been rackin' my brain for about a week now, so i fired it up and let it sit for a bit checking to see if the heat exchangers were getting warm at all...and after a half hour they were still ice cold. started digging in and the first line I grab going into the heat exchanger is kinked a full 90*...how perfect. could have had it fixed minutes after i knew there was a problem if i wasn't such an idiot...fired it up again and with in 2 minutes the heat exchangers were 10* warmer then they had been all day. i let out a sigh of relief and loaded the trailer. ripped around the park for about a half hour with no overheating and boy was I happy. best part is I didnt even have to buy anything to fix it. so grand total for the sled and all repairs to make it work and run is up to about $104 lol. who said there was no such thing as a free lunch? thanks for your help guys.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts