Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we just had first snow.However, les than 1 inch accumulation on top of dirt. I took it out to see if it would still overheat while riding vs ideling. It also overheated in garage after 10 min of idle after rebuild and system bleeding.

After 20 minutes of riding today still overheats & side coolers still cool but Tunnel coolers underneath warm.

This model has no thermostat.
Coolant starts to pour out of overflow also!
The fact that coolant pours out an indicator of something?

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
blizard please don't triple post... Each post is different and all cover the same thing... Don't worry man 1 post will do the trick...

·
Registered
975 Posts
Do you have an airlock in the coolant line?????

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought I bled cooolant lines sufficiently.
Perhaps not good enough?

Would air lock cause coolant to spill out of overflow after 15 minutes of riding?

what would casue this pressure build up & overheating?

·
Registered
608 Posts
If the coolant isn't flowing through the coolers than the coolant in the engine will build up pressure. lift the front high in the air and try to bleed it again.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Yeah.... Let the engine idle while you have the front end in the air as high as you can If you have a tilt trailer leave it tileted with the sled parked on it.... shuld be enough of an incline) for 3-5 minutes with the cap for the coolant tank cracked open so the pressure can escape.... That should burp your system of air bubbles.

Did you say you rebuilt the water pump or the engine?

·
Registered
837 Posts
why are you running the machine for 10min in the garage, sled don't have cooling fans, another guy did this whith a brand new rebuild summit, he let it run on the trailer for 15 min, i don't know why, but he over heated the motor. what kind of things have you done to the motor and cooling system, imean do you have a line wrong and have you check the water pump maybe there is a problem with it. also when does water come out of the coolant tank? if its after it warms up that means you are boiling the coolant.the coolant boils at the same temp as water you need the preasure cap on to imcrease the pressure in the system and rais the boiling point but you should never get it that hot anyway.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It overflows after it gets hot! Does that mean I need a new cap?

I rebuilt top end. I didn't look at watter pump, should have. But, hose going into bottom intake gets warm as well as upper hose & tunnel cooler gets warm, must be circulating.

It just acts like air in system. Puzzling becasue I've bled and bled with bleed screw. Should I bleed with cap cracked instead?

Or would head gakets be bad?

·
Registered
837 Posts
the cap should be off, but if you are having problem with cooling i think the water pump would be a good place to check. and if it oover flows when hot the cap will leek if you are getting it so hot. i don't think a gead gasket if the problem unless some of the pagssasges were not stamped out or something strang like that. but if i were you i would have checked the water pump on of the third things i would have done, bleed one thermostat 2 then the pump

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Sounds to me like you definately have an air bubble in the system. This is why your running board heat exchangers are cool and the front heat exchanger is warm. The coolant isn't circulating so you're over heating. This is also why the coolant is overflowing.

Get the front end in the air, lift the air vent on the filler neck cap(don't take the whole cap off) and run the sled at as low an idle as possible (600 to 1000 rpm) for 3-5 min. Juice the throttle ever so slightly once in a while. Keep an eye on the over flow tank and make sure its at the proper level.

This should get rid of the air bubble and solve your problem.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update: The problem is a Worn water pump Shaft! The plastic gear is totaly worn.

Anybody know of a Polaris dealer, midwest, that may have this in stock? Or, atleast compettitve prices?

Thanks everyone

1 - 12 of 12 Posts