Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 97 Ultra SPX last year with 2500 miles. I went up to Eagle River Wisconsin trail riding and it ran great put on about 300 miles. When i got home we had enough snow to ride the trail and we went out after riding about 150 miles my sled over heated and pucked out the antifreeze, now whenever i start it and let it run for a while it will build pressure in the coolant system and force out the coolant before it is even warm. A buddy of my brothers said he had a SPX when they were new and his had the same problem and all he had to do was change the gaskets on the heads and jugs and the problem went away, is this true? what could it be? Since we haven't had any snow in southern wisconsin i haven't been in much of a hurry to get it fix but now i have the time to do it so i would like to get it running IF we get any snow this year.

thanks

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
it could be a leaking gasket.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
im guessing a blown head gasket as well. its the only pressure will really build unless the thermostat is dead.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK thanks, would it be worth while to replace the pistons with wisecos? I checked the thermostat and it was fine. Does anyone have any experience doing the topend on a spx? i am kinda curious how you went about tourqing the lower cylinder bolts.

thanks

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
You need a special tool that attaches to your tourque wrench. It has an open box end wrench on one end (that goes on the nut), then instead of a handle its just a square opening where the head of your tourque wrench fits into.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does the wiseco piston kit make much of a difference as far as performance? Should I worry about replacing the pistons/rings with only 2500 miles?

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
You need a special tool that attaches to your tourque wrench. It has an open box end wrench on one end (that goes on the nut)[/quote[

it's called a crows foot and you put it on the wrench at a 90 degree angle to the handle

Before you do anything do a compression check. If the compression is fine you won't need to replace the pistons. If you replace you then have to have the cylinders honed (nikasiled possibly, depends if thats the coating thats on there now and it's expensive) I'd get a gaske set and pull the heads off first and maybe it's one of those. If it isn't then pull the jugs.

·
Registered
277 Posts
If you are going to pull it apart, check the pistons for any scuffing or scratches. If you dont see any, dont replace them. You may want to replace the rings though. But at $30.00 plus dollars each and you have 6 of them, 2 on each piston, you are looking at $180.00 plus in rings. I know, I did this to my XCR600 case reed motor. The cylinders are coated, Nicasil. You said you checked the thermostat and it was ok, check to make sure that your coolant is circulating. Check the flow and make sure your water pump is working. I have seen the cooling system build pressure from a bad gasket, your heads have O-rings for sealing, but you should also have coolant loss in your cylinder and that sweet smell of coolant burning. Good luck.

·
Registered
608 Posts
2500 miles I wouldn't change the piston or the rings. Maybe at 5000 miles. Don't even pull the cylinders off, just take the heads off and look for signs of leaking. Your cylinders are coated so you don't want to hone them out at all. As Maydaze said there should be other signs of head leaking like oil floating on top of the coolant. Look at your pistons through the spark plug holes the one that is leaking should be clean and shiny. You may only need to change the one gasket.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Originally posted by Sno-X-treme

it's called a crows foot and you put it on the wrench at a 90 degree angle to the handle
I knew it had a name, but couldn't remember what the heck it was. Thanks. [;)]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How would i go about checking to make sure the coolant is curculating? there isn't any oil in the coolant.Last time i checked the compression was close to the same all the way across

Thanks for all the info guys

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
If the heat exchangers on both sides of the tunnel are warm (whether they're under each of the running boards, or on each side of the tunnel itself), I'd say its circulating. If it wasn't circulating, only one of them should be warm. This is how I'd check it. If anyone else knows of a better method, please reply.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Have seen a leaky head gasket cause pressure in the cooling side, and force antifreeze out. Saw this on a xlt under load.
2500 miles would touch the motor yet. Have a good look at the waterpump,make sure you have flow.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I changed the gaskets but it still gets overly hot I tryed to block the front up to help get all the air out and it think its all out but the heat exchangers still don't get warm. When the sled is cold and I open one of the bleeds water comes out like it is being moved so i think the pump is working. I noticed bubbles by the O-rings near the sparkplugs, why would those be leaking they are brand new. How much does a new water pump run? How hard is it to put in?

Or is there anyone located near Beloit Wisconsin that could take a look at it?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Andy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nobody knows anything about waterpumps? Both heat exchangers stay cold so I'm guessing either it is the pump or I still have air someplace. Where is the water pump located? Any way to test it?

·
Registered
864 Posts
Don't remember anything special about bleeding the coolant. The air bubbles. The bleed hole move coolant when cold as well.?
Pump is located under the exhaust on the front of the motor. I'm thinkin a air lock.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had the same exact problem in my XZR. After about 3 miles it would start blowing coolant out the overflow. I changed the head gasket and it still did the same. I gave up and I brought it to a friend who pulled the water pump out and he said it was fine. He then changed the base too jug gasket and the problem is gone. That gasket should have come in your head gasket kit. I hope this helps. Good luck.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Saw on another site it recommended to raise the front of the sled way up to burp it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
my guess is air block,jack the frt way up and let it burp.if not put a pressure test on cooling system and see if it holds.or quit guessing and take it 2 a shop or someone who knows what a waterpump looks like.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
i had a 97 spx also and my radiator cap was junk causing it to leak and not build up as much pressure as it should have resulting in poor circulation..i dont know where yours is leaking from but the cap solved my problems

1 - 20 of 20 Posts